99 in blonde

Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

It's gorgeous. I like blonde wood. Actually any wood that's in good shape.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
The upper tension had been re-assembled incorrectly, but worked fine once that was straightened out. The lower tension needed a little tweaking too; I like to get the tension as loose as possible and still have the stitches neat, so multiple rows of stitching are less likely to stiffen my project.
I am going to file that one away in the tip jar. Right next to the notes on kantha quilt jackets. The kantha quilts were hand stitched with a running stitch and so they made flexible jackets and store bought quilted fabric was not as supple and I had wondered why.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
I am going to file that one away in the tip jar. Right next to the notes on kantha quilt jackets. The kantha quilts were hand stitched with a running stitch and so they made flexible jackets and store bought quilted fabric was not as supple and I had wondered why.
I wonder too if, all other things being equal, cotton thread is more flexible than polyester. Someone should start a new topic and ask! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post7383865

Last edited by Manalto; 11-22-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

She looks so shinny and bright. All she needs is a Xmas bow on top.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
She looks so shiny and bright. All she needs is a Xmas bow on top.
And I know the perfect person to give her to. He's sitting in my chair right now! Actually, I'd be thrilled if I could find more people around here who were interested in good vintage machines; I'd definitely thin the herd.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM

Very nice machine.

I have to do some work on my 99 before I can try and use. I tested her at the store, but she seemed to work pretty well.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:02 AM

I love 99's. I think they're adorable, like a puppy version of the 66. (And who doesn't love puppies?) I have two 99K's from the mid-50's and I also have a 185J, but can't remember age on that one. They all are great stitchers.

I have to confess I don't use them very often, though. I'm always sewing on my "newest" machine in the herd, which lately I've been into zigzaggers, I have a Universal I'm toying around with and still buffing up "Betty" the White.

It's interesting comparing my two 99's - they're only a couple years apart in age but they run pretty differently. One I bought at a thrift shop and it looks like it just came from the show room - doesn't look like it was used at all. The other was abandoned in a garage and given to me for free; wiring was shot, lamp was gone, and she's definitely seen a lot of use. I bolted on a different motor that had good wiring (and the lamp intact) and that 99 runs so much smoother than the "new" one. Neither runs poorly, but the one that's been used runs smoother - with the belt off that thing will glide for a LONG time; the newer one glides for a bit but stops sooner, even with fresh oil on both.

I think that's neat because it so clearly illustrates the difference between a broken in machine and one that's still "new".
Old 11-24-2015, 07:28 AM

I agree. Some of my best machines are the ones that have been dinged up a bit from use. (An added benefit is that you don't have to worry about blemishing a pristine vintage machine, if that's your inclination.) Another possibility is that the stiffer 99 could use a flushing out to remove old oil residue that's turned to varnish causing drag on the mechanism. I use kerosene for the job because it's cheap and effective. (I try not to use it inside, but the odor dissipates pretty quickly after clean up.) I only mention this because I've had near-miraculous results with this method on machines that seemed OK but were transformed into Swiss timepieces.

185s were made between the halcyon years of 1958 and 1963. Your J is Canadian made.

Straight-stitchers are soothing to use. I swear they've saved me a fortune in psychiatrist bills.