Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99k found for 7.50 at goodwill.yesterday.?????? >

99k found for 7.50 at goodwill.yesterday.??????

99k found for 7.50 at goodwill.yesterday.??????

Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM

Question 99k found for 7.50 at goodwill.yesterday.??????

I dont know what i have,, but it is as small as a featherweight but weighs about 50 pds. no attachments. but does have bobbin and needle plus the old light with the big bulb. The machine is still in my car as it weighs so much I need someone to carry it for me. (due to shoulder surgery) so no picture yet. also the serial number is strange It is a large EL then a very very small 89 then a regular size 1066 and then a small separate oval seal lower down that says 99k . Any one have any knowledge on this machine. I could not turn it on as the foot pedal has something loose inside ,and I am going to let Grandson look at it and it needs a belt. It is definatly a singer and the decals are in excellent shape. any Help would be appreciated. cmaras1234 PS............. I always though the 99 was a big machine that had a kneebar and a coffin top case???? With a skeleton key. i have 2 in my shed.

Last edited by CMARAS1234; 08-31-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 AM

No, the 99 is def. a smaller machine but a heavy little sucker lol! I'm amazed at the price though! My Goodwill prices machines much higher than that! It sounds like you lucked out!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

You definitely got a good deal. The 99 is a 3/4 machine though it's heavy. Not quite as small as a FW which is a half size machine. There was a model near the end of their run that was aluminum and not so heavy. The 99 was produced for around 50-60 years so there's treadle versions, hand crank versions, bentwood case versions, cabinet versions and versions in the two toned Singer case. Then there's the 192 Spartans and the 185s which are dressed down and dressed up versions of the 99.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 08-31-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: remove redundancy
Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 PM

What Cari said. If the two in your shed are bigger, they're not 99s. I know I would like pictures of all of them.
You got a great deal! I hope you enjoy it.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM

I forgot to add: You can download a free manual at Singerco.com. Some of the older ones do have the bentwood case and kneebar controller.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The 99 was produced for around 50-60 years so there's treadle versions....
Cari
I’m not doubting you, but have you ever seen a Singer 99 Treadle that came from the factory as a treadle? I don’t think that I’ve seen one yet. I know that the Singer 28 was put out as a treadle, so Singer made treadles for 3/4-sized machines, but I can’t recall ever seeing even a photo of a factory Singer 99 Treadle.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I’m not doubting you, but have you ever seen a Singer 99 Treadle that came from the factory as a treadle? I don’t think that I’ve seen one yet. I know that the Singer 28 was put out as a treadle, so Singer made treadles for 3/4-sized machines, but I can’t recall ever seeing even a photo of a factory Singer 99 Treadle.

CD in Oklahoma
You know CD I may just have to eat my words. I know that years ago I saw a picture of a 99 in an enclosed (parlor?) treadle cabinet but for the life of me I can't remember where. It stuck in my head because it was different than what we see every day. Now I can't find one even in an image search so I could very well be wrong.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
....I may just have to eat my words.... I saw a picture of a 99 in an enclosed (parlor?) treadle cabinet....Now I can't find one even in an image search....
Cari
Well darn. I was hoping you had bumped into one along the way. I don’t know if Singer ever put a 99 out in a treadle.

I would guess that by the time the 99 production took over as the main 3/4-size machine on the Singer roster, wide-spread electrification in homes looked like the way of the future, so maybe they didn’t think that small treadles would sell very well. Nearly everyone was flocking to get an electric machine and treadles were being abandoned. Singer still was putting out hand crank machines for the non-electric customers in later years.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 AM

I have a 99K but I didn't think it weighed fifty pounds. I have never weighed it though, so maybe it is.

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Well darn. I was hoping you had bumped into one along the way. I don’t know if Singer ever put a 99 out in a treadle.

I would guess that by the time the 99 production took over as the main 3/4-size machine on the Singer roster, wide-spread electrification in homes looked like the way of the future, so maybe they didn’t think that small treadles would sell very well. Nearly everyone was flocking to get an electric machine and treadles were being abandoned. Singer still was putting out hand crank machines for the non-electric customers in later years.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 AM

They weigh around 25 lbs IIRC. They are heavy for their size.
Rodney