Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: About Convering a Motorized Machine to a Handcrank

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I learned on one - they are nice if you want to go slow.
    I think a hand crank would be a great thing for my kids to practice on. Especially the 6 year old who really wants to sew but I'm still a little scared to let use the big machines.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    I think a hand crank would be a great thing for my kids to practice on. Especially the 6 year old who really wants to sew but I'm still a little scared to let use the big machines.
    After i vaccinated myself, my mom made me use the FW - actually it was easier
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Looking at my WFR in the crinkle finish with a motor, it doesn't look like there is any place to attach a hand crank. These do still have a spoked wheel, but I'm not sure how you'd retrofit a hand crank to it. The motor attaches to the back of the machine with screws. There is nothing like a "motor boss" as on the ends of most Singer machines.

The only one I've seen is here: White FR hand crank pic.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that White's were sold in the US, so not as many were made with hand cranks, mostly treadles and motorized versions.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Looking at my WFR in the crinkle finish with a motor, it doesn't look like there is any place to attach a hand crank. These do still have a spoked wheel, but I'm not sure how you'd retrofit a hand crank to it. The motor attaches to the back of the machine with screws. There is nothing like a "motor boss" as on the ends of most Singer machines.

The only one I've seen is here: White FR hand crank pic.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that White's were sold in the US, so not as many were made with hand cranks, mostly treadles and motorized versions.
    I have several that will not hand crank. I have a Cinderella, 319, 306 that the motor boss does not line up with the wheel so that it will turn properly. I have some old machines with no motor boss and some with a motor that attaches on the back of the machine. These will not HC. There are newer machines that will HC and newer machines that won't because they don't have a motor boss. Some machines that will not HC will treadle. Go figure.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

So, Pumpkin Patch, did you get the White Rotary with the crinkle finish? (I've got one in my garage...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2