Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
About Convering a Motorized Machine to a Handcrank >

About Convering a Motorized Machine to a Handcrank

About Convering a Motorized Machine to a Handcrank

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Default About Convering a Motorized Machine to a Handcrank

Converting! Pooh I mis-spelled the title and can't change it - sorry! Alright this might be a really stupid question so please don't make fun of me if I have no clue what I'm talking about...because...well...I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I am contemplating purchasing a White Family Rotary I found on Craigslist...it's the black crinkle kind with decorations on the sides...can these be converted to a hand crank? I thought I read something on here about such a thing being done? Are there machines that are interchangeable in that manner? Is there a reason you would WANT to convert them?

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 08-30-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Horrible terrible typos
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 AM

pumpkinpatchquilter,

The White Family Rotary is a good machine. But I know nothing about converting them to a hand crank.
I suspect the answer may be yes, but I'd have no idea where to look for the parts.

Singers and clones on the other hand, at least those with the motor mount boss directly under the hand wheel, can be easily converted to a hand crank.

The reasons someone might want to convert a machine to hand crank are many.
> I just want to.
> I'm going somewhere with no electricity and I don't have the room/ability to take my treadle machine.
> I want to sew slow and controlled.
> I think they look cute.
> Hand cranking is fun ... just ask Muv.
> I'm sure there are more.

Singer sold hand crank machines long ago and you could buy the conversion parts to do it yourself. You can still buy Chinese reproduction crank kits that look pretty good. While at Miriam's shop last Tuesday I had the opportunity to examine a Chinese unit. Not too bad. Since I don't have any hand cranks I'm going to buy a kit and turn my Singer 99K, Rusty into a hand crank. Should be fun.

Joe
Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 AM

Joe - thank you!!! So helpful!! I was just curious. I would fall into the "I think they look cute" category but I wasn't sure if you could really do such a thing. I have heard of converting a treadle to a motorized machine or something of that sort.

Thanks so much for the information - and i can't wait to see your 99K as a hand crank!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM

Everything Joe stated above! I love my handcrank, and think it could possibly be the last of my machines that I would give up if I had to part with them. I like to use it, there's just something about sewing with it!

The White...does it have a spoked handwheel?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Boy my typos are pretty bad huh? Sheesh! Kids are asleep so maybe I can type coherently now. Lol*

The machine I'm looking at looks just like this - except it's got a light in the front and I can see the motor off the back behind the machine. That appears to be a spoked hand wheel. Will that make a difference? Would that make it a better or worse candidate for a hand crank?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881WmrhJY
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Much better candidate for a hand crank with the spoked wheel! (Others have to be notched or drilled for the crank)

You'd just have to do a "motorectomy" and attach the crank. Contact Mizkaki (Cathy) on the board and see if she has one..
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Much better candidate for a hand crank with the spoked wheel! (Others have to be notched or drilled for the crank)

You'd just have to do a "motorectomy" and attach the crank.
Woot! Very good to know Charlee - thank you, you are always so quick and willing to help and I am grateful for it. I have learned so much here!

I picked up a nonworking machine years ago that actually got my gears turning about these things in the first place. It's GORGEOUS...all but the yellowing old decal that says it's an "Elite". I still haven't figured out who made this, I've never heard of an Elite machine. It looks like it's from the 40's to me. The wiring is SHOT to say the least. I wouldn't dare to even plug it in. Maybe that's the one I should make a hand crank.

Oh this is so catchy I tell you. I come on here for one thing - and when I get off I've got a thousand ideas in my head for other things to do! Lol* I love the possibilities!

Edited to add: ..and I just ran into the other room to see if the Elite had a spoked wheel and it does not. Hahaha This is the kind of week I'm having!

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 08-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
pumpkinpatchquilter,

The White Family Rotary is a good machine. But I know nothing about converting them to a hand crank.
I suspect the answer may be yes, but I'd have no idea where to look for the parts.

Singers and clones on the other hand, at least those with the motor mount boss directly under the hand wheel, can be easily converted to a hand crank.

The reasons someone might want to convert a machine to hand crank are many.
> I just want to.
> I'm going somewhere with no electricity and I don't have the room/ability to take my treadle machine.
> I want to sew slow and controlled.
> I think they look cute.
> Hand cranking is fun ... just ask Muv.
> I'm sure there are more.

Singer sold hand crank machines long ago and you could buy the conversion parts to do it yourself. You can still buy Chinese reproduction crank kits that look pretty good. While at Miriam's shop last Tuesday I had the opportunity to examine a Chinese unit. Not too bad. Since I don't have any hand cranks I'm going to buy a kit and turn my Singer 99K, Rusty into a hand crank. Should be fun.

Joe
Joe saw it setting there and asked if it was original. I said no it was a repro - he said he didn't want no cheap Chinese junk so he looked at it anyway - they aren't bad - just aren't as nice as an original. I got mine at Sew-classic - pick up a finger guard while you are at it unless you don't mind being vaccinated...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM

But Charlee, I need 3 hands to sew now......
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
But Charlee, I need 3 hands to sew now......
I learned on one - they are nice if you want to go slow.