Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Added another one to the herd last night >

Added another one to the herd last night

Added another one to the herd last night

Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Added another one to the herd last night

I have been trying to find a set of singer irons to put with a cabinet that I have. I was wasting time looking on Local Sales Sunday night when I saw a new listing. The pictures were so tiny and awful that I contacted the seller for more and better pictures. She sent some of the head Monday night, but I didn't get in until late from a meeting. We went back and forth with emails and last night I headed out. I knew the cabinet was in rough shape, but it is a total loss. I have been taking it completely apart for the brackets, screws, etc. this afternoon. The head is a 27 dated December 12, 1908 and has Sphinx decals in bad shape. The head is nasty. I gave it a gentle bath with a microfiber cloth and then with oil. It turns, the needle bar goes up and down, the pressure foot was very rusty but not frozen, the shuttle was not it too bad shape.

I really don't want this machine.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM

I own 2 model 27s. One is from 1908 and the other from 1904. They actually sew very nicely. Both of mine have the pheasant decals. I bought the one from 1904 for the irons like you did with yours but after sewing with my other machine and seeing how nicely this one turns I decided to get it running too. So far I've built a case for it. I need to get the tension spring and figure out how to mount a hand crank on it without damaging the machine.

The wear on the decals might indicate a lot of use. If that's the case yours might be a very nice user machine.
Rodney
Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 PM

I guess I just have a phobia about the long bobbins. I have an Eldridge that I bought for the beautiful case, never used the machine. I want ONE treadle that I like to use, not 5 (I'm not counting my 29-4). My house is tiny (700 sq ft) and 10 machines is way too much. I just don't know how I have managed to wedge 10 in here.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRedRocker View Post
My house is tiny (700 sq ft) and 10 machines is way too much. I just don't know how I have managed to wedge 10 in here.
Only 10? That's a good start. My trailer isn't much bigger than your house and I think I'm close to 50 machines.

Cari
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 AM

Cari, are they all in your trailer? My house is wall to wall furniture and machines and it is smothering me to death. How many machine cabinets do you have? I'm amazed!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:57 AM

I try to buy portable machines for just that reason. It seems like cabinet machines are much easier to find though.
Rodney
Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I have 2 and that's plenty for me. Trying to minimalize and my house is small but bigger than 700.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRedRocker View Post
Cari, are they all in your trailer? My house is wall to wall furniture and machines and it is smothering me to death. How many machine cabinets do you have? I'm amazed!
4 machines are in storage now along with 2 empty cabinets and Rodney has 2 of my machines but the rest are at the trailer. I got rid of my dining room set, two end tables, 2 large aquariums and a living room chair to make more room for cabinets. I think there's 11 cabinets and 2 of those folding machine tables, the rest are in cases or are just naked. Machines are in every room except the bathroom. It's not ideal because I trip over machines all the time. I plan on getting a new trailer soon that will be bigger with a huge sewing room and also I'm going to have my carport shed rebuilt to twice the size it is now so I can have a little shop, several machines will go out there.

Cari
Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM

my wife complains about my two dozen ( roughly) and many of them are small portables ( 128's in particular)
I however would STRONGLY suggest you free up that 27 and give it an Honest try, I find my 27 in a treadle ( dated 1900) to be one of my most satisfying machine. it is honest and simple and just works and works really well, and it cares not if it is light muslin or heavy canvas with light leather edging... and handles bigger thread without fuss or adjustment than my rotary machines . you may be surprised at just how Easy and trouble free it is. my ONLY complaint is it is really tough on thread if you leave the bobbins wound for storage.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:19 PM

here is a video of my then 9yo using my 27 just after it was lightly cleaned ( it was given to use in really rough condition) it was my first and had not even been super tuned at this point. just cleaned to the point it worked. treadle was not adjusted and have learned much since then.... but I still love it .
https://www.facebook.com/durbach1/vi...type=3&theater