Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice about Featherweight

A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.

She could get up to 400.00 for it. Featherweights are never "down" in price.

If it is in good working order, I think it is a good buy. The antique dealer obviously does not know about Featherweights & how the quilters are so hungry for them.

I have seen them sold for $150 to $400 online depending on condition. If it's in very good condition I think $200 is low.

Like everytiing, condition, condition. And market. If she wants to get rid of it , thats not a bad price, but on the other hand I wouldn't sell either of mine for that price ofcourse i use mind every day. good luck

If in mint condition with all original attachments, over $500 wouldn't be out of order. Check ebay to see prices for machines with comparable accessories. The condition of the case will also play a significant role.

Blog Entries
    People will still easily pay $300 for a featherweight where I am, economy or no. Other antiques may be down in price, but featherweights are not going to be down much (if any) because they are useful -- not just something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyA
    A friend asked me to find out what a 1934 Singer Featherweight with the case and attachments is worth. It had been her mother's and she would like to sell it. I believe someone offered her $200. Is this a reasonable price if it is in good condition? Another friend who deals a little in antiques told me it wasn't worth more than $50 because prices of antiques were down. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    They are worth a lot. Depending on the condition on the machine, the carrying case and the attachments, if the original manual is present and if it doesn't smell musty. Don't ever take the advice of a dealer. If you want to check ebay, is not a good indicator either, because people sometimes get carried away bidding and some times not bid at all for the same item.

A dealer may be basing the price on what they'd pay in order to make a profit on the re-sale. $200 sounds like a good price to me. I paid more than that for mine and was happy to get it.

This has been my experiance also.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I have seen them sold for $150 to $400 online depending on condition. If it's in very good condition I think $200 is low.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast