Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Advice on Binding Attachment for Bernina Record 830 >

Advice on Binding Attachment for Bernina Record 830

Advice on Binding Attachment for Bernina Record 830

Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 AM

Default Advice on Binding Attachment for Bernina Record 830

Hi All,

I am a newbie both to quilting and this board. I am wanting to purchase a binding attachment for my "Old Faithful" Bernina 830 Record Machine. I have done a lot of looking on EBay. There seems to be quite a few out there, but the question is will they work on my machine - and is it better to buy one that has the wire on the end to guide the fabric. Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Many thanks

Biddsley
Old 03-11-2016, 02:06 AM

I didn't know there was such a thing as a binding attachment. I just stitch it on and am thankful if I've made it that far. Just try to take your time. You could also use a glue stick of you are afraid of it shifting.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:55 AM

I don't have a Bernina, but I think their feet are a bit different than a regular low shank or high shank foot. Make sure it will fit your Bernina before you buy!
I purchased a binding foot for my low shank machines, and found it would work well for binding things like aprons or tea towels, but did not work well for binding a quilt due to the thickness of the batting. But maybe I am just using it the wrong way...
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM

The Bernina binding attachment come 4 different ways -- pre-folded binding and non-prefolded binding, and two sizes of each. They're about $230. The #94 o4 #95 foot comes with it. Then there's a "Simple Binder," which I've never had the privledge of selling or using in my 11 years of working at a Bernina store. I don't think they work.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 PM

Thank you Ladies for your replies.
I have had a re-think on purchasing the binder attachment. It's a lot of money for something that may or may not make the task of attaching the binding any easier. As I am only a newbie to quilting but have sewn for many years, I have decided to at least give the conventional method a go. [If that fails, well it will be back to the "drawing board' There are some very clear tutorials that I can draw on. Once again, I thank you for input and advice.
Biddsley in Australia
Old 04-22-2016, 10:11 AM

The binding attachments that Bernina sell are for clothing not quilts I believe. One of the ladies on a retreat had been sold one having asked about its usefulness in binding quilts and was very disappointed that it didn't work. I hope they gave her a refund.