Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Air traveling with my Featherweight in near future >

Air traveling with my Featherweight in near future

Air traveling with my Featherweight in near future

Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 AM

Default Air traveling with my Featherweight in near future

Hi:
Last year at this time I my husband had a meeting in Las Vegas. I took my Featherweight, as a carry on through airport security there & back no problem. I do not gamble, and I did not want to shop but I did want to sew. Thus I found a sewing tutor. So she came to our hotel room for 3 days and we sewed. I had a blast!!!

This year we are going again. I want to repeat my fun Las Vegas sewing adventure. However, this year I am worried about how TSA will perceive my Featherweight in a "carry on bag". Thus, my dilema what do I do with my Featherweight? Do I carry her as a "carry on" or try to pack her well enough for baggage? And if it's baggage, is packing her like UPS/FedEx shipping in a luggage bag good enough?.. (Triple padding?)
Thanks,
Kathy
Old 11-19-2015, 07:00 AM

If I had a choice I would rather take it as a carry on. How did you find a sewing tutor?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I would contact the airlines unless you are flying the same carrier. TSA should be able to look thru your bag especially with x-rays. I would certainly get there early. I would think there would be some info located on the Government's website on airport security.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 AM

I just flew with my FW on 11-14. Security was tighter but had it in an American Tourists rolling carry-on that I found at Walmart. I padded the back inside to protect against rubbing on the handle rails. I put fleece in the inside front zip pocket. Removed the spool pin plate. (Put some folded paper towel to keep grease from soiling anything.). They wanted to put carry-ons under the plane but let me keep it when I explained that it was an expensive sewing machine.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

If you can't have her as carry on, I wouldn't chance it. Bonnie Hunter had her Featherweight as carry on but carry on it was full and she had to check it.. It was a beautiful repainted machine that they broke the motor off and it couldn't be fixed.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I took my Featherweight as a carry-on in May 2014 and didn't have any issues. Has something changed since then? I just bought a rolling carry-on that should fit it pretty well and fit either under my seat or up in the bin. I'm flying Southwest, and they're usually pretty friendly, but now I'm worried.
Ila
Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...to-united.html

this has a few photos of Bonnie's featherweight after being required to transfer it to cargo because on flight storage was full.
I would call the sewing machine shops where you are going to be and rent a machine.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Hi:
Thanks for the traveling with Feather Weight input. My question was due to the increased security at airports since last Friday's terrorist attack. I hope by the time I travel in a few weeks things might calm down. I was just trying to figure out my options. I am not going renting a car and unfortunately the tutor does not provide sewing machines.

MarLeClair, I googled and searched last year for sewing classes, sewing tutors and also checked with the local quilt shops. This sewing instructor listed herself on the web as an experienced seamstress & was willing to come to my hotel to work with me.
I also found a local private bus hop company that would pick up up at your hotel room, drive you around to 4-6 quilt shops, provide lunch and return you to your hotel at the end of the day.
Kathy
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 AM

Personally I won't take my FW on a plane. I just don't want to risk it. Is there a sewing shop near your destination where you could perhaps rent a machine?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:51 AM

How positively fantastic! A sewing tutor on a vacation! Now that is a VACATION.