Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Am I getting bored or burned out? >

Am I getting bored or burned out?

Am I getting bored or burned out?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Maybe you need to look for an older Bernina or Pfaff that have all the stitches and are still mechanical and metal. Something from the 60ies? Or how about a long arm? LOL Maybe try some extra vit. D and sunlight. I like joining swaps as it keeps me in touch and going.
Annaquilts,

We are looking at a Bernina Record 530 right now, trying to figure out if we have enough money for it. I don't think so, my wife is drooling .....
And we have a question. The one we are looking at seems to have a knee bar rather than a foot controller. Is that right, or should it have a foot controller? I don't know anything about Berninas.

Joe
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 AM

Hi Joe..
I like the idea of Vit D, and sunshine. Also walking a dog would be very nice.. You can try volunteering at a shelter. The dogs would be thrilled to get a nice walk. My guy doesn't do long walks, or chase varment.. He's a little priss, that thinks he's a huge dog, but doesnt like freezing his behind..
I love my machines, but I must have quilt block..
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 AM

Joe, you do need a little fur baby - I love love love my Chihuahuas! I can put those two little guys on my lap and I immediately feel better! They take up no room, are a blast to watch playing with each other and the cats, and so much fun to watch running around the house! I also walk them every day so they can get out and get a little outside exercise. They offer so much love to their person/s!

I agree, you need to trade one of your Singers for an automatic Pfaff that does all the decorative stitches. Those machines use a normal 15x1 needle, most of them use a regular low shank foot, and they always just purr along happily sewing. Most of the vintage Pfaffs - the 130, 260, 230, 360 all take the same bobbin/bobbin case too!

Nancy
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Annaquilts,

We are looking at a Bernina Record 530 right now, trying to figure out if we have enough money for it. I don't think so, my wife is drooling .....
And we have a question. The one we are looking at seems to have a knee bar rather than a foot controller. Is that right, or should it have a foot controller? I don't know anything about Berninas.

Joe
Hi Joe,

It should also have a foot control for speed. The knee bar on the Bernina serves a different purpose then the knee bar on some older singers and Elnas, which in that case replace the speed controll and can be used instead of the foot control. With the Bernina you will still need the foot control but the knee lifter is to help lift the pressure feet so your hands are free. This is a wonderful feature and is also found on some newer machines like Janome 6500. I have a Bernina 830 and really enjoy that feature.

I also got a doggie, 7 lb of attitude, last summer and it has helped me get out more often. I agree that they are very calming and help me get out in the sun.
Attached Thumbnails 153-custom-.jpg   img_7111.jpg   012.jpg  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Default Be careful what you wish for...

I just acquired one at what I thought was a reasonable price. It sews straight but that appears to the limit. I know you are a great tech guy and your stories have had my attention here. my questions on a vintage Brnina group lead me to think the part that engages the fancy stitches is frozen. I'm not very mechanical I find but someone suggested using a hair dryer to soften potentially petrified gunk...yikes! I can handle a hair dryer I think so I might try that. My machine symptoms are that the two required levers will move but the one tha changes the stitch (on the cam stack) cannot fully disengage from the zig zag slot. Ok! I know I'm in the weeds on this tech stuff now. That's as much as I understand. The other thing I understand is that I may not be able to find anyone who can work on a 54 year old Bernina. Or worse, I may find the person but at a terrible price.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Annaquilts,

Joe
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 AM

I forgot to say that the 530-2 I have comes with a knee control. No mention of a foot control in manual. I did see one online with a foot control. I really like knee control, especially for free motion quilting which my frozen up fancy stitches won't affect. Feed dogs go down no problem.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I am afraid I am of not much help as my DH does the machines but I think you can find people to work on them as they are straight forward. DH has some contacts that fix machines for a living and they deal with vintage berninas all the time.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IQuiltnFL View Post
I forgot to say that the 530-2 I have comes with a knee control. No mention of a foot control in manual. I did see one online with a foot control. I really like knee control, especially for free motion quilting which my frozen up fancy stitches won't affect. Feed dogs go down no problem.
Oh good on the feed dogs mine where frozen but DH fixed it and now it moves fine. Actually the whole machine was frozen, we bought it that way else we could not have afforded it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Nancy,
Will keep our eyes out for a Pfaff. I already have a box of feet for one, so we might as well have a machine .... right?

Annaquilts,
Thanks for the clarification. My wife's Bernina Record is like you describe so I figured the 530 should be too. Are Bernina foot controllers easy to find?

IQuiltnFL<

There are several people here much more experienced with the Berninas than me. But I'll suggest getting some Tri-Flow oil, removing the top and oiling everything that looks like it can, should, might, or would move. Let it soak, wiggle it, work it, and oil it a bit more. Then warm it if needed.

Old oil in these machines is or can be a real head ache.

Joe
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Hi Joe,

The foot control is not that hard to find but they are pricey. It is the part that gives out. we had to get a new foot control. The knee lifter bar is often missing, lost. An other part that is often missing is the little detachable slide on table.
That can be hard to find. Ours was missing too. Besure to check if all the pieces parts are there as it can be expensive and or hard to find the parts for an older Bernina. Indeed on the old oil can often be the trouble. In our case there was some of that but the machine had just been neglected and been exposed to moisture. She works fine now and is one of my favorites for regular piecing and paper piecing. I have done some free motion on her but only smaller art works. I generally prefer the janome 6500 or long arm now for free motion but she does a beautiful job.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 AM.