Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Am looking for a Featherweight but don't know much about them.

Am looking for a Featherweight but don't know much about them.

Is there a model that is more desirable than others? Any advice? How do you tell the year they were manufactured?

The serial number on the machine can be matched to the listing online which will tell you when that serial # was allocated for production.

Some people like to get a machine from their birth year. Others are looking for the oldest one they can find. And some of us just get the first one we see that doesn't need fixed!

As far as I know there are two models of featherweights - the 221 and the 222. Mine is a 221.
    I understand the 222 is more rare.

The rarest and most costly is the 222- a freearm machine that costs about $600 plus. The 221 came in 3 colors- tan which is the rarest, white, then the common black. Prices vary a lot, but about $275 for a decent black with case and accessories, to about $475 for the tan. For just sewing and enjoying- buy what you can afford that is in good condition, and try it out first. For investment- the best condition and rarest win.

I bought one early this year and enjoy it everyday! I paid 205 for it and shipping and it is great! Long ago I tried to make a neighbors FW work but never discovered what it was that was wrong. While reading posts on QB I now think it was the hook not put in right. This QB site has so many wonderful people who help!! Hope you get a good one! Most are fixable if you like to fix things

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    The rarest and most costly is the 222- a freearm machine that costs about $600 plus. The 221 came in 3 colors- tan which is the rarest, white, then the common black. Prices vary a lot, but about $275 for a decent black with case and accessories, to about $475 for the tan. For just sewing and enjoying- buy what you can afford that is in good condition, and try it out first. For investment- the best condition and rarest win.
    always learning something new about fw. the babylock dealer who also services all makes of machines. responded to hubs question re: estimated value of the fw i inherited fr my grandmother. 600+$ ...w the case and attachments? ..~700+$. it is fr the forties. have always assumed it is a 221. maybe his quotes just reflect fw values here locally? secentral wa state.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Before you buy, I would suggest that you try one out. What about the FW makes you want one?? I know, everyone wants a FW. I couldn't wait to get one and now I have 4. Crazy, I know. But I love them.... love the sound they make, love the perfect stitches that they create, love that I can carry it anywhere without hurting my back!! But, they aren't for everything. They don't make beautiful pictures like my fancy Viking. It would be pretty difficult to FMQ a king size quilt..... although I have FMQ a baby quilt with darning foot and feed dog cover. They won't do a zig-zag without the special attachment.

And what price to pay? They are different prices in different areas. I've paid between $50 - $280 and thought each one was worth the price I paid. Each one had a variety of attachments, etc. I love mine. I do hope you can find one you love......

The black ones sew zippier than the white or tan and are not hard wired. They are a classic, good luck!

Just took one of mine to my dealer's for a cleaning and when I picked it up, he asked if I bought it on the Internet. I did. Seems there were some different parts on it and a few funky things. It sews fine which he did confirm. It was meant to be used and not to be a collector's item. But, let the buyer beware. Now my other one was my dear M in law's. that one is my real treasure since she loved it (and me) so much.

Blog Entries
    There are other vintage machines worthy of using, too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I wouldn't trade my 201 for any FW. I do have a FW my sons gifted me, after a little work and cleanup, she sew just fine. We all have our favorites.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.