Another 66-??

Old 10-06-2015, 05:34 AM

Default Another 66-??

Hello all,

I acquired a free 66 from a thrift shop about a year ago. I traded a recliner for a Dressmaker w/cabinet in full working order that belonged to the shop owner. Knowing that I had a small machine collection, on the way out, she asked if I wanted her door stop, a Singer . Naturally I jumped at a freebie which was a 66 mfg. May 1922. I have a few pics posted to see if anyone can identify the -#. All pics I have seen shows a spoke wheel in that time period, but this one has a smaller solid balance wheel and the bobbin tire if not worn down also looks different. I am wondering if someone change out the wheel and bobbin winder. It was missing the slide plate, needle clamp, hand wheel nut index screw , lower cover plate thumbscrew and a broken winder spring. All issue have been corrected, machine serviced and I will make a base for it and add a motor & controller. Any help is appreciated.

Soman2

aka-The other Rodney
Attached Thumbnails img_8132.jpg   img_8135.jpg   img_8137.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM

I wonder if the machine was upgraded from treadle to electric at some point and that's when the handwheel got changed out. (??) I think you're right, I would expect a spoke wheel.

I've never seen a flat bobbin tire like that on a Singer before. Maybe that's just what someone had on hand?

Don't you wish they could talk and tell us their stories?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
... Naturally I jumped at a freebie which was a 66 mfg. May 1922. I have a few pics posted to see if anyone can identify the -#. All pics I have seen shows a spoke wheel in that time period, but this one has a smaller solid balance wheel and the bobbin tire if not worn down also looks different. I am wondering if someone change out the wheel and bobbin winder. It was missing the slide plate, needle clamp, hand wheel nut index screw , lower cover plate thumbscrew and a broken winder spring. All issue have been corrected, machine serviced and I will make a base for it and add a motor & controller. Any help is appreciated.

Soman2

aka-The other Rodney
Freebie is great! and of course one would jump at it.

Isn't it fun trying to figure out the sub model numbers - and wondering whether original or altered. According to http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...sses-1-99.html it looks to me to be a 66-6 or maybe 66-8 but not sure which and what differentiates these, as they both have the disc balance wheel. Unfortunately the image that is given for the 66-6 ( http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...99/66-6_bp.jpg ) doesn't have the various views like you have posted. It is the "red head" decals and in portable case.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Yours looks like an aftermarket wheel. As far as I know Singer used cast iron for their wheels. Yours looks like aluminum or pot metal. I would also expect the finish to be about the same as the rest of the machine. Paint is flaking of the wheel pretty heavily. Your machine was probably electrified in the 1940s. A lot were then.

That's the first flat bobbin winder tire I've seen. I wonder if the diameter of the hand wheel is a little different than the stock wheel where the tire rides? That might explain the tire.
Nice gift! The bed decals look like they're worn off but the rest look pretty good.
Rodney
Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

It sure is pretty.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Default Probably 66-13 (upon further research)

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
...According to http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...sses-1-99.html it looks to me to be a 66-6 or maybe 66-8 but not sure which and what differentiates these, as they both have the disc balance wheel. ...
Upon further research I'm beginning to think that it might be a 66-13. When I was looking to find sub-model for a portable 66 I had, I had come to the conclusion that it was a "-6" but now might have to rethink that. Per http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...al_number.html it list 66-13 as a portable model. Another place that lists the "-13" as being a portable is http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...s/image210.htm I didn't see the 66-8 on the sil.si.edu site.

Seems like I have seen a parts list for the 66-6 but don't remember one for the 66-13. It could be an upgrade, but also looks like it could have been original (except for the bobbin winder tire). The time frame seems to be appropriate for both of the above links.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-07-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:11 AM

This is a beautiful machine, I just love Red Eyes.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
This is a beautiful machine, I just love Red Eyes.
The red eye decals ARE so cool. I was reading this thread and my youngest daughter said she wanted a 66. (She's four) Then my six year old started arguing that she wanted it. Good thing I have my grandma's 66 ��
Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

Don't you wish they could talk and tell us their stories?
OMG Yes! Imagine how much fun it would be to know what was sewn to rub off the decals. How much of what? Who used it? Was it for a job? For fun? What did they like to sew vs. had to sew. Who decided it was a doorstop? Who cherished their machines? So many questions!!