Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another empty handed day - the pickins are slim :( >

Another empty handed day - the pickins are slim :(

Another empty handed day - the pickins are slim :(

Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Another empty handed day - the pickins are slim :(

Spent the whole morning at thrift stores and garage sales. Not a vintage machine to be found. Lol I am sad! I did find vintage aprons, love them.

I will try to be happy for all of you that had incredible luck today finding that mint condition -by the side of the road - cast off beautiful vintage machine for FREE! Really I will try.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 AM

We had a bust day yesterday - except that I finally got to this one quilt shop I'd heard about. Owner is a retired lady and it's hit or miss when she's open.

It's called something like "Quilter's Exchange" and she buys people's stashes by the pound, and resells them at $3 a yard. She's willing to cut no matter what you want, and is very generous. She and DH spent an hour swapping stories while I looked through what was on the shelves. Broke my promise (again) to NOT buy more for my stash and only buy for projects . . . but who can resist $3 a yard quality cotton fabric!

Now I"m waiting for the mail to show up - got some attachments and a knee lever that should be showing up today! Buying on eBay is like having birthdays all the time- presents just come right to the door!

Our mail man thinks I'm a bit off, but he likes the cookies and home pickled veggies I give him so all is good.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-03-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Macybaby that quilters exchange sounds awesome!! Helped make your day for sure!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

That happens more often than not to me - much, much searching, and rarely a find. When it does happen, makes it more special.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

So sorry, that is usually the way it is here!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Are you looking for a particular Vintage machine? I have several and love them all, but am running out of room.
I have a Singer 404 straight stitcher, beautiful stitches, uncomplicated and easy to use, clean, repair and results are outstanding!
Then, I have a Vintage Singer 6268, made in Italy. Self winding bobbin and it uses the SewWare and also stitches beautifully, it has some decorative stitches. Then there's the SewWare, I have the alphabet, decorative borders and numbers.
My hubby just bought me a Vintage Pfaff and so something has to go...
SIGH... I love them all.
If anyone wants to know about owning vintage machines and wants to ask me something, contact me. I may not know everything, but boy! Have I been through the school of the hard way to learn.... been there, done that!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Dont give up. On Thursday a stranger emailed me at lunch and asked if I wanted to pick up an old singer for free - I have a 'Dont throw your old machine away ad' on my local CL. When I got to the door his girlfriend handed me a ducked taped green box and said. 'Its just a little one, nobody wants'. I was shaking as I walked to the car and thankfully my DH was driving. I was in shoke holding a white FW on my lap. You just never know what will happen! Good luck.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Be patient! Yours will come. I just found a neglected 301 in tan for $10 at an antique barn in Westfield, NY . I want a long-bed but it will come in time. We drove though PA on Friday from top to bottom and didn't have time to stop at all the junk shops and yard sales we passed. That was hard! I have found three 301's since last September, two in the last two months, so hang in there!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
Dont give up. On Thursday a stranger emailed me at lunch and asked if I wanted to pick up an old singer for free - I have a 'Dont throw your old machine away ad' on my local CL. When I got to the door his girlfriend handed me a ducked taped green box and said. 'Its just a little one, nobody wants'. I was shaking as I walked to the car and thankfully my DH was driving. I was in shoke holding a white FW on my lap. You just never know what will happen! Good luck.
I am green, mom had a white FW and I let her give it to her cleaning lady. Could kick myself now. Had someone tell me the black are better machines, but my heart cries for a white one like mom had, like I need another machine (NOT). Maybe one day, after all they don't take much room after all
Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 PM

They are out there... Just be patient... And there are many of them. Learn to be selective.