Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Another Foot Controler Problem >

Another Foot Controler Problem

Another Foot Controler Problem

Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Default Another Foot Controler Problem

I like old Rodney here (13-910 Japanese Clone, but his foot controler has to be floored before it takes off. When it takes off, it's full speed and nothing less.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348263[/ATTACH]
My question is, should I rewire a new foot controler? Is the wire cord on this old vintage also need to be replaced? The right plug-in is for a light, which this machine does not have. The left plug-in is for the motor. Otherwise the machine runs fine and has no other problems. When in doubt, I ask the experts.
Thank you for helping, Claudia
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348270[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0830.jpg   100_0824.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Your Rodney is a typical HA-1 15 clone. The wiring block in the end compartment was they way those and many others were wired. Nothing complicated or difficult there. The entire wiring block harness is still available from many sources.

There are a couple types of foot controllers. One type will have a spring loaded lever that swings in a arch making contact with many contact points. At each point the motor speed should increase. These contacts can burn, corrode, and pit. The wires to them can also burn out. If dirty, burnt, corroded or lightly pitted they can be cleaned and brought back to life. If the wires are broken or burned through they can also be fixed, but it's better to replace the unit.
You should be able to slide the bottom off of the controller and see the resistance wires and swing arm.
This type comes in a variety of shapes and sizes but this is an example of the type:

The other is a carbon pile type resistor. Most of them can be adjusted as well. And they do have contacts that can become burnt and or corroded. Here is an example of that type:

As you can see both types have only two connectors to undo, so replacement if needed is easy.

The wiring in your picture is typical 50s twisted cord wire. As long as the insulation is good there's no problem using it.

Sew-Classic has both the cord block sets and new standard and electronic foot controllers if you need them.

Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Hee, The machine has its own name tattoo on it...love it, Rodney.

I just toss the motor and treadle the machine, but that's me.
I agree with Joe that Sew-Classic is a great place to pick up the items or new foot controller.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Joe, Thank you for the quick reply. I really like your pictures and instructions on how to rewire and replace this foot controller problem.

I follow this forum pretty close and have learned so much from all of you. I appreciate all the help you people give me.

Claudia
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Joe, Thank you for the quick reply. I really like your pictures and instructions on how to rewire and replace this foot controller problem.

I follow this forum pretty close and have learned so much from all of you. I appreciate all the help you people give me.

Claudia
I'm glad to help any time I can. What good is learning things if you can pass it on?

Joe
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

That should have read: What good is learning things if you can't pass it on?

Duh.....

Joe