Another IDIOT moment

Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Red face Another IDIOT moment

Never work on your sewing machines tired. I just got my 301 back from being cleaned/oiled, threaded it up and it stitched one stitch and then wouldn't catch. spent 1 hour re-threading, messing with bobbin and tension. figured it had to be the bobbin hook or timing was off. decided to leave it until morning. checked on you tube for bobbin info or timing, then I noticed that the lady threaded the needle 15-1 from right to left, I did that once and took it out thinking it was the wrong way. boy did I feel stupid, so I did right to left and it worked fine. Thanks Youtube! Now I know I would have gotten the right answer from this board, but I was to tired to get on. ( I would have been on reading post and such) So try the simple things first
Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 AM

I'm on dial up. I can go to YouTube find a video, get it started, then go to Google, this forum, the Smithsonian, come back to this forum, go to another Google site, then take a trip to the kitchen for snack .... before that video is watchable.

If I own a machine I don't rely on other people to tell me how to thread them or make them work. I do the research and then commit it to memory.

I've made some boo boos with needle position, direction, and incorrect threading, but for the most part I know which machines are odd balls, 201, Featherweight, etc and remember it.

Glad you got your machine running right.

Joe
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM

You should download the free manual. It has all the important details.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 AM

I have too many machines to keep them all straight. I can get the top thread on all of them without any issue. It is the bobbin I have to think about. So, I keep a book around. Nice thing is the 221 and the 301s use the same bobbin and it threads the same way - the opposite way from my quilting machine! Glad you got it figured out.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
You should download the free manual. It has all the important details.
Ditto! ~
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM

I have made a chart of all my sewing machines from date of first acquisition down to latest. The info is as follows:
Make, Model, Serial No., Age, $ paid, Place acquired, Date acquired, Manual (yes or no), Needle position (F/L, F/B, F/R), Needle size, Thread (R/L, F/B, L/R), Bobbin (up or down), Bulb (push or screw), Belt (yes or no). I keep one copy in dining room with five machines, and one downstairs in sewing room with six machines. It has saved me so much time because I don't have to pull out a manual every time I can't remember something about each machine. Nearing 72 years of age, this happens quite often, especially if I have not used one of them lately.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM

kitsykeel...

I do the same thing. Saves time and effort, especially with threading.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Dan, I love your avatar. Where do you guys find these cute things?

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
kitsykeel...

I do the same thing. Saves time and effort, especially with threading.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 AM

I think we all have those DUH moments! I threaded a hand needle about 15 times and it kept coming unthreaded when I pulled the thread through. I discovered that, instead of picking up the thread that I had just cut off of the spool, I was threading it with the little piece I had just taken out of it. DUH! Sr. moment, blond moment, crazy cat lady moment....not sure what was going on that day!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM

I think the trick here is 'MEMORY"---HA HA HA!!!!