Another Singer: VS2

Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM

I'm apprehensive of applying anything other than oil on those decals. Unless I do it right, they're not long for this world. I'd hate to ruin any of them, as they're what distinguishes this particular machine.

I've seen several variants of the Roses/Daisies set and I like the one with ferns in it. I typically prefer the geometric, simpler designs but I can see why these Victorian styles are popular.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

My VS2 and my Frister & Rossman are the only machines I have that are so smooth running that whey will free-wheel... (give the hand wheel a good pull and it will spin for several revolutions) Most will stop within one maybe 2 turns.

It is fun at our shows trying to convince folks that those are decals not hand painted. Most folks assume that if it were decals then the designs would be crisp and "litho" looking. Singer actually had folks hand paint the masters and then made decals from those so that they would look hand done.

Last edited by SteveH; 03-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My VS2 and my Frister & Rossman are the only machines I have that are so smooth running that whey will free-wheel... (give the hand wheel a good pull and it will spin for several revolutions) Most will stop within one maybe 2 turns.

It is fun at our shows trying to convince folks that those are decals not hand painted. Most folks assume that if it were decals then the designs would be crisp and "litho" looking. Singer actually had folks hand paint the masters and then made decals from those so that they would look hand done.
And I'll just add that the eventual craquelure of these decals increases their hand-painted look, to my eyes.

My VS2 isn't quite that free-wheeling but it's very smooth and free for a machine that hasn't been used in what is probably decades. I hope I can get mine in a condition that is like yours!