Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight? >

Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight?

Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight?

Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Default Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight?

I have a good opportunity to buy a Singer FW . Three choices, actually. The first is $200 and closest to me (an hour away). The second is $250 and farthest from me. The third is $300 and about as far as the second. That's my upper limit for one in great shape with good case and all attachments, which this third one has.
The third one is the the best shape cosmetically and is being sold by a quilter and antiques dealer. She said the only thing that might be a slight issue is the tension, but she didn't want to mess with it. She wants the buyer to. Says it probably just needs a little tweaking. Sometimes my tweaking skills are awesome, sometimes dreadful. Mechanically they're somewhere in between.

I just want to have fun with it. I'm not looking to pay anyone to tweak it. Lord knows I don't NEED a Featherweight, I just want one. I have the money for one, but I guess I'm questioning how much I'd use it or if it truly would be the machine I use when I want to be near my DH and son for TV time, just doing some mindless chain piecing. Would I miss the automatic thread cutter I've become accustomed to?

Decisions, decisions. I'm hoping someone can give me good reasons NOT to take the plunge. My DH doesn't think we have the room. Um, we do. He doesn't understand the fascination with "those old machines" when I already have 3 I'm not using. I tell him it's kind of like those guitars he's not playing.
Each one has its own sound, playability, and beauty. He makes music, I make quilts.

I have my chance tomorrow afternoon to buy it. I'd like to hear the pros and cons from those who have a FW.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:23 PM

I love my FW because the feeddogs are small and very close together. This helps make very tight and perfect curves. It makes more accurate 1/4" seams, and I never need a leader/ender to start/end sewing. Besides that, the stitch is always perfect, the tension is always perfect, and that little rolled hem is always perfect. If its a straight stitich, the FW does the work.....if its a zig zag, out comes the Elna. You cant have my FW for any price, unless I am bedridden and never sewing again.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I love my FW because the feeddogs are small and very close together. This helps make very tight and perfect curves. It makes more accurate 1/4" seams, and I never need a leader/ender to start/end sewing. Besides that, the stitch is always perfect, the tension is always perfect, and that little rolled hem is always perfect. If its a straight stitich, the FW does the work.....if its a zig zag, out comes the Elna. You cant have my FW for any price, unless I am bedridden and never sewing again.
Wow! That's quite the endorsement, Jane!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:29 PM

My DH bought me a FW just to "shut me up" about wanting a FW. He paid WAY TOO MUCH for it - but the man has two tractors, two brush hogs, etc. (we live on a farm). Mine is so quiet- just purrs - I think you could sew on it in church and nobody would hear it.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
My DH bought me a FW just to "shut me up" about wanting a FW. He paid WAY TOO MUCH for it - but the man has two tractors, two brush hogs, etc. (we live on a farm). Mine is so quiet- just purrs - I think you could sew on it in church and nobody would hear it.
Hmm. Sew in church...that's a thought. I listen better when my hands have something to do.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I'm glad I"m not the only one with a husband who pays WAY TOO MUCH for stuff. He paid way too much for a Rocketeer and for a FW. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play with my FW yet. It had some problems that the eBay seller didn't disclose or didn't know about so it's at Kimberly's getting a tune up now.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy my featherweight. I have a second one that just about fell into my lap - got it for $40. I don't use it as much for no particular reason. I take it to the sew along at the quilt shop on Fridays. I am very happy with mine. Quiet, nice stitch, easy to carry.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:11 PM

I was fortunate and purchased mine for $45. I love it. It's not overly quiet. I oil as needed but don't use mine often so probably could use more oiling?? It does make a perfect stitch. I take mine when I'm traveling and plan to sew or to the odd class I might take. Otherwise I use my regular, computerized machine. Both have their values.

If it's in your budget - go for it. Personally, that is way more $$ than I am willing to spend on any vintage machine..but that's me. I'd hold out for the next deal that you recently lost. There will be another along at some point. I'll keep my eyes peeled here if you are willing to meet half way.

Make sure you put the word out to all those scrappers; yard salers; house cleaner-out-ers that you might come in contact with. That's how I got mine. Continue to check CL and freecycle. I picked up my FW table for a mere $15 from someone cleaning out their mom's assisted living apartment. It was a 45 min. drive for me but he was happy it was going to a good home.

The deals are out there if you are willing to be patient.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:51 PM

Thank you. Yes, for a deal, I'd gladly meet halfway. I saw one on CL in Medford, NJ (one of those I mentioned above) but I don't know the area at all. There are so many tolls and crazy jug-handles up in the Garden State, I would almost need a navigator. "The one that got away" for $35 is still making me sad. But you're right. Deals are out there
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM

The only reason I can think of not to buy a Featherweight is its size. Light and convenient for a machine you'll carry with you outside the home, it can feel tiny and cramped to those who have large hands and/or like to work on a roomy machine.