Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone have a '70s Bernina 830 record with nice decals? >

Anyone have a '70s Bernina 830 record with nice decals?

Anyone have a '70s Bernina 830 record with nice decals?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
It sounds like Macybaby has a better camera than me, and quilter1 has a machine in search of fame, so chances are you'll get good pictures before I could do it.

Haha... asking to do it and explaining why are actually the parts of this little project I was most looking forward to! I'm pretty hard to embarrass, I guess.
I can wait then, if you really want to do it. We could turn it into a competition for the sexiest 830
"Here they come in their bathing foots. Oh! And it seems they've all chosen to wear red tonight" <wolf whistles and cheers erupt>
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

How much did you pay for your 'new' 830? You will love it. Mine does FMQ wondfullllllly!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
How much did you pay for your 'new' 830? You will love it. Mine does FMQ wondfullllllly!
Probably shouldn't say but it was way under the current prices and I got it at a garage sale. Apart from the top decals, it's in amazingly good condition and sews like a dream. Yes I do like sewing with it - extremely smooth.

I also have a 530-2, and it seems almost identical to the 830, but without being worth a gazillion bucks. I don't understand why the 830 is worth so much. There was one in Australia in "as new" condition that went for over $1,400 last week! Ludicrous that the 530-2 is almost the same machine but is practically worthless (lucky I got it for nothing then, isn't it?).
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Probably shouldn't say but it was way under the current prices and I got it at a garage sale. Apart from the top decals, it's in amazingly good condition and sews like a dream. Yes I do like sewing with it - extremely smooth.

I also have a 530-2, and it seems almost identical to the 830, but without being worth a gazillion bucks. I don't understand why the 830 is worth so much. There was one in Australia in "as new" condition that went for over $1,400 last week! Ludicrous that the 530-2 is almost the same machine but is practically worthless (lucky I got it for nothing then, isn't it?).
I have both models as well and the 830 has electronic components in the speed control or foot control that the 530-2 doesn't. It makes for a smoother feeling machine and FMQ's a bit easier and better because of this (IMO). The 830 caught on better with quilters and although I do agree with you that the 530 is a great machine, I'd still pick the 830 over it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 AM

If you still need them I'll get pictures Monday. Can try the scanning too. Right now I'm 500 miles away from the machine.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
If you still need them I'll get pictures Monday. Can try the scanning too. Right now I'm 500 miles away from the machine.
Thank you Cathy. I'd hate to be 500 miles away from any of my machines. You must be sad
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM

I would love to find a Bernina in my area to buy that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a friend who has one and she swears by it, but won't sell even tho she doesn't sew anymore.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have both models as well and the 830 has electronic components in the speed control or foot control that the 530-2 doesn't. It makes for a smoother feeling machine and FMQ's a bit easier and better because of this (IMO). The 830 caught on better with quilters and although I do agree with you that the 530 is a great machine, I'd still pick the 830 over it.
Mine doesn't have "electronic" written on it and it's from 1972 (I have the receipt). I'd hope it has no electronics inside, because I'd rather stay self-sufficient. It did come with a darning hoop though, so certainly it seems to have been made with free motion as a feature. The manual that came with it is in Italian, too. The lady who owned it was Italian of course, but the receipt says she bought it in Melbourne. Doesn't make it any easier for me to read it though. Don't really want to learn Italian. Don't suppose anyone has a PDF manual too? They seem pretty rare on the 'net

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I want one in English, not Italian - amusing images popping into my head now
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Mine doesn't have "electronic" written on it and it's from 1972 (I have the receipt). I'd hope it has no electronics inside, because I'd rather stay self-sufficient. It did come with a darning hoop though, so certainly it seems to have been made with free motion as a feature. The manual that came with it is in Italian, too. The lady who owned it was Italian of course, but the receipt says she bought it in Melbourne. Doesn't make it any easier for me to read it though. Don't really want to learn Italian. Don't suppose anyone has a PDF manual too? They seem pretty rare on the 'net

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I want one in English, not Italian - amusing images popping into my head now
If yours has the min/max. switch it has a fuse of some sort or diode?? under the switch. The 830E has the electronics in the foot control.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If yours has the min/max. switch it has a fuse of some sort or diode?? under the switch. The 830E has the electronics in the foot control.
Yes it has that switch. No pesky electronics is good in my book