Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
anyone here suspect Flebay Fraud >

anyone here suspect Flebay Fraud

anyone here suspect Flebay Fraud

Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 AM

Default anyone here suspect Flebay Fraud

I was wondering if anyone here suspected any of the sellers of sewing machines on Flebay were shilling for bids? There just seems to be such a demand for featherweights out there. They seem to be getting a lot of bids.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 AM

And if so, are there any other auction sites out there that are better for buying and selling sewing machines?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:59 AM

People go cuckoo for the Featherweight, and seem to be willing to pay a premium for them. Are the prices higher than normal on eBay?

eBay and Shopgoodwill are the only two auction sites I know of. I buy all of my machines locally, though I have yet to find an inexpensive Featherweight.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 AM

For me, buying "locally" isn't an option. I live in a State with about 1M residents (our work force is about 450,000 total). If I find something less than 2 hours away, I figure I've done good. Most of my machines have come from much farther than that - and eBay is the best option for accessories and odd ball stuff.

I've been watching for over a year - it's always been that way with FW. However they are selling for less now than they were a year ago. The price dropped a bit last March, and hasn't gone back up. I expected to see that happen for Christmas, but it didn't. Maybe it is now, takes a while for to notice the trend. In the last year, I've seen some very good deals to be had on eBay.

There are other machines that typically go for high prices, green Vikings, 6570's in working condition, Bernina 730 and 830 records . . . it's not just FW. However FW is about the only older Singer that consistently goes for over $200. If you want one for less than that -look for a deal locally, you've got too much competition on eBay unless you get very lucky.

If you watch, you'll also see a lot of higher priced FW on eBay that don't sell, and around my area, unless I find someone that doesn't know they have a FW, they ask even higher prices. Seen one not so nice with a tag of $500 sitting in one shop for two years now.

There may be some sellers that have shill bidders, but I don't think it's that common. More often it's inexperienced bidders who come on and bid on increment at a time until they get the high bed. Since most people aren't going to buy more than a few sewing machines, mostly I see bidders with low sales counts bidding. For most people, they'd rather pay an extra $100 and get what they want and be done. It can take a lot of time and gas driving around hoping to find a deal at a garage sale.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Mlmack and Macybaby both nailed it. There's always the possibility of shilling at any auction. Do what you need to to minimize the risk. Many people get mad at snipers but it's one way to limit shilling. Also know the maximum amount you're willing to pay and keep to it. Don't get sucked into bidding wars.
Rodney
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Check out craigslist..there seem to be a fair number of FWs..in Portland Or,for example. Some are less expensive. I bought a handcrank by checking CL in various cities.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM

This gentleman called me back last night about a black FW right after I purchased my white one. I told him I wasn't in the market anymore but we ended up talking for about 20 mins. I thought I wasn't going to find a white one and decided to go for black and because he was very close to me ( only 15 minutes away) I called his number. He was very nice and asked me to share that he has three for sale and will ship. I have never met him, his wife is in the local quilting society and they have a local business and appear to be good people. If you call him be prepared as he runs a hundred miles an hour like he just drank 20 cups of Java. LOL Nice man but can't get a word in edgewise....

http://redding.craigslist.org/atq/4289701818.html
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 AM

I have been shopping for FWs lately. I purchased a black one that needs some serious repairs and a white one with lots of extras. I think that I paid a fair price for both. As far as I could see, I didn't notice any blatant shilling going on. That's not to say it never happens. However, FWs are so popular that it's no surprise that there are lots of bids on them. There are also a ton of FWs on the market, so I'm sure that you will find one for a reasonable price. You might take a look at the GW auctions. There's less guarantees over there, but the prices are generally lower than EB.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 AM

Wait. Are we talking about "Fleabay(eBay)", or is "Flebay" some sort of a French auction site?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM

[

Indeed there are shills and not just for FWs. TAke Rodney's advice and don't get sucked into the excitement of a bidding war. AndRodney, what is a sniper? froggyintexas
QUOTE=Rodney;6589541]Mlmack and Macybaby both nailed it. There's always the possibility of shilling at any auction. Do what you need to to minimize the risk. Many people get mad at snipers but it's one way to limit shilling. Also know the maximum amount you're willing to pay and keep to it. Don't get sucked into bidding wars.
Rodney[/QUOTE]