Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins? >

Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins?

Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:12 AM
cjr

All of my Singers take different bobbins. If not spoken for I'd love some of them.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

I figure they already found a home, as the OP had not come back to respond. It's always fun to play "match the bobbin to the machine" so I was hoping for pictures LOL!!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
For 66's, 99's, and anything else that takes a Singer class 66 bobbin, these are the nicest modern bobbins I've found:
http://smile.amazon.com/Bobbin-17222...dp/B0040ZFPBK/

They're steel, well-formed, and they're actually the correct size, unlike modern Singer-brand class 66 bobbins. I tested them in my two 99K's and my 500A and they fit perfectly. I searched around and found a store called Gold Star that sold sewing machine accessories and I thought they might be the same people so ordered some through them, but they are NOT the same as these ones from Amazon. The ones from Amazon are superior. I think they're on par with the vintage bobbins.
Sew Classic sells good bobbins for a lot less, $2.69 for 10.

Cari
Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM

I would be interested if you still have them as I have dif. brands of sewing machines.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 PM

I still sew on my singer I bought in high school and with all the military moves over the years some of my bobbins have disappeared. I have a few plastic ones now but would love a few metal ones that fit machine. It's a singer 3314C. Nothing fancy at all but it sews and I am very comfortable with it since we are very old friends........lol
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
All too often, bobbins get left in the cabinet and the machine removed and sold/donated. I find it fun when I get a machine/cabinet with the stuff still there - how much does not belong to the current machine. Most often it's for an older machine, so it just got moved along with any other sewing supplies.

My Standard (stout) rotary came with an almost compete set of Singer VS2 attachments.
I looked at a Davis VF machine ones, that came with a full set of Greist attachments - for a rotary zigzag machine.

Right now I have a little gremlin that likes to steal bobbins. He's quite careful about it, except once he gets to the floor, he likes the noise they make and I hear it and retributive them. He's also started stealing pins - very carefully pulls them out of the pin cushion. He also loves playing around the sewing machines - gets up and sits on top of the longarm too. At least he's only unwound three rolls of TP so far.

To the OP - if you post pictures, some of the bobbins are really easy to tell what they are for, and if most of yours are the same, we may be able to figure that out for you.

The 7th bobbin from the left, with all the holes -- what is that one for? I have one and don't need it.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Great photo Cathy! I love the tall plastic(or wood) one I have a bunch of those.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
Great photo Cathy! I love the tall plastic(or wood) one I have a bunch of those.
The "tall" wooden one is used in the Eldredge Two Spool Machine. I have one, and it came with a plastic spool. Now someone has given my two wooden spools, and I have more promised, so I'm good to go. Please, just don't throw them out. They are collectors items if nothing else.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 PM

The 5th bobbin from the left looks like a White Rotary bobbin.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM

I'll have to take an updated picture - I took that some time ago and have acquired several more since. Not just more bobbins, but rotary machines that take different ones than shown above.