Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone know about a Graybar SM?

Blog Entries

Anyone know about a Graybar SM?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9987566

I was browsing and came across this machine. No bids so far and shipping is only $20.00 because this one is in TN on shopgoodwill.com No cord or pedal included...would it be hard to find these to fit?

Thanks!

Not hard to find, but probably will cost you at least another $20 plus shipping....

Since it notes there is no power cord or foot pedal, if you intend to use it I would look for those items before bidding on the machine. But if you just want it for looks then not a bad price. I am not familiar with the brand so have idea of the value.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    I know we had a couple of Graybar factories here, but I don't know what they made or produced. I know that's not helpful at all, but that's the first time I've seen that logo on anything except the side of a building!!

I had to buy a foot pedal for a new machine and the cheapest I could find it was $50

Note the back of the sewing machine that shows the electrical connections. The plugs are called Chicago connectors I believe. Someone else on the QB may have more information about them as I don't think they are made or used anymore. I have a Damascus with the same connections and original foot controller. I am going to ask my OSMG if it can be re-wired with modern electrical parts. I would pass on the that machine if it did not have the foot controller.
    Sweet Caroline

Foot controllers, at least aftermarket one are not expensive. Sew-Classic sells them for less than $20.00.

As for the Chicago connectors I've been looking for them for about a year now. I haven't found a one.

Caroline, the only problem the OSMG will have is finding a connector box that will work with machine.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Foot controllers, at least aftermarket one are not expensive. Sew-Classic sells them for less than $20.00.

As for the Chicago connectors I've been looking for them for about a year now. I haven't found a one.

Caroline, the only problem the OSMG will have is finding a connector box that will work with machine.

Joe
    Yeah, I know. I will be picking up my 101 on Tuesday and I am going to lug the Damascus along to get OSMG's opinion on getting her operational.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    My husband picked up a Graybar for me from an auction, but it, too, doesn't have a cord, foot pedal, or bobbin. I think it is essentially a National machine, so that may help you in looking for compatible parts. Good luck. If you find a source, let me know! I'd love to get this machine up and going, too!

Blog Entries
    Try Sew-Classic.com for the best prices and good services. No nonsense, just the parts mam. They have a free download on vintage machine maintenance. Well worth the price of admittance. The proprieter is Jennie.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.