Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone know what this Minnesota Treadle in Cabinet is worth? >

Anyone know what this Minnesota Treadle in Cabinet is worth?

Anyone know what this Minnesota Treadle in Cabinet is worth?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Anyone know what this Minnesota Treadle in Cabinet is worth?

I'm falling in love with treadles.....saw this and wonder what is a good price to pay for it? I don't know if it works......just like the look of the machine and the cabinet. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails photo-2-copy.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Wow, that is gorgeous.

The answer that always gets under my skin is "It is worth what you want to pay for it." That is annoying, because you want context, reference, information. But, on the other hand, that answer is true.

The more I look around at these amazing machines and cabinets, I think; worth? Priceless. Is that really solid oak? Could you even buy those raw materials anymore? Even if you had the materials, how much would it cost you to have something made? Hundreds. Hundreds. So, that part of the Worth question gives it a high tag indeed.

The fact that these are not coveted or valued means that it may only fetch $50 - $200. (I am guessing!) Either way, in my humble opinion, a price like this constitutes at the same time a steal, a rip-off, and a sad insult to the machine that in its day cost probably the equivalent of $2000.

I hope I don't sound flippant. I just mean that if you love it, then I am pretty sure that unless you pay a Crack-Smoking-High-Price for it, you will be happy. :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 AM

$50-$150 in my neck of the woods. The missing front slide might be troublesome and you'd want to make sure the shuttle is present. Minnesota K was made for Sears by Davis and / or Domestic. Good Luck.

Jon
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM

Looks like it has a belt and it might be functioning. I love that cabinet, that's a lovely piece of furniture.

From my experiences thus far: There are no set values for sewing machines. It does vary greatly from one area to another mmmm, you're in Texas, the prices tend to run higher there. Thrift shops are the low end, garage sales/craigslist sorta middle (people ask for high end a lot on craigslist, they don't get it though), eBay/antique malls high end. A complete and actually working machine (not just a claim its working) in a beautiful cabinet will be more expensive then a rusted machine in a water damaged cabinet.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 AM

It would seem, from a quick search on Craigslist, that there's a nice Minnesota in Flower Mound on a basic stand for $50.
So add what the cabinet is worth to you and take it from there.

Research...it's all about the research :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea on the value but it sure is beautiful!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Wow, that is gorgeous.

The answer that always gets under my skin is "It is worth what you want to pay for it." That is annoying, because you want context, reference, information. But, on the other hand, that answer is true.

It's the answer I will continue to give because this forum isn't an appraisal site and pricing is always very subjective. I would also add to check Craigs List in your area for wishful thinkers and then check ebay for closed auctions to see what some machines have actually sold for.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM

One of the forums I belong to (not sewing machines) doesn't even allow appraisals just because of the wide variation in prices due to differences in region, condition etc. It's actually not a bad thing. It keeps people's feelings from being hurt. Let's say you bought it based on someone's advice for $500 only to see another one for sale a week later for $50. You might be a bit angry at yourself and the person you listened to thinking you over-paid. The best thing you can do if you plan to buy more machines is to just watch Craig's List , Ebay etc, until you have a good idea what prices are in your area.
It's a beautiful machine and cabinet. Furniture of that quality really isn't being made today unless it's custom. The missing slide plate does affect the price though and might be worth using as a negotiating point. Also make sure the shuttle and bobbin are there and that the treadle is complete. Parts can take a while to find and can cost more than an entire machine.
Rodney
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Appraisal is merely stating an opinion of worth or estimate. If someone asks for your estimate or opinion of what something is worth, why not give it if so inclined. The potential buyer can use these opinions however they wish. I find "value is personal and regional" is also very true and helpful, as it shows the great uncertainty and fickleness in the market and encourages "it's worth what I think it's worth".

Jon
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM

My inquiry was mostly to be fair in my offer......I am not familiar with the Minnesota brand and happy to learn more about it. Also I am not familiar with the parts issue.....I think "she" is pretty as is. Thanks for your comments.