Anyone restored a puzzle box?

Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Default Anyone restored a puzzle box?

I have two of these now, and both really need to be loved.
Has anyone really gone to town on one? I've found that the glue on Victorian items like this usually 'stops functioning' (bits start falling off) and I assume the glue is animal based.
How do you reglue it? Where do you get the velvet lining? Is shellac applied to the wood exterior? Paint with Boiled Linseed Oil before shellac-ing?

I imagined that the wood can be treated exactly like cabinet and coffin lid wood. Is this reasonable?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 PM

I have had a few and the interiors did not need replacing. You can get the velvet from your local fabric/quilting outlet. On the exterior, I used Restore-A-Finish. It comes in light & dark, I use dark, and really cleaned up the wood. That product saved me about $15K for new cabinet when I remodeled our kitchen. If I were to strip the wood then I would some light color oil and then use Watco Danish Oil finish, about 3 coats would do it. On the adhesive, I have used rubber cement, acid free for pictures/posters. Another product is 777 adhesive. This stuff is very stikey and holds like a gorilla in a panic. The finish is not OEM but would work for me. Hope this helps.

Rodney
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks Rodney. I'll have a look around for some of that. Not sure if it's all available in Australia though but I think I've seen 777 adhesive.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 AM

I have one with the velvet in sad shape but didn't want to do a full replacement. I used Carpenters wood glue and a toothpick to roll glue under the edges that were peeling up. It's holding fine. I may replace the velvet another time but it's good 'nuff for now.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 AM

I did what Christy did with the velvet too. I wonder if I have "before" pics here. I know the puzzlebox and FW both came before I started collecting. They were what started it, so the photos could be either slim to none or just very very generally documentary.

you can buy "hide glue" in a squeeze bottle form here. The company's name is Titebond. I use it for all of my cabinet and bent wood repairs