Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone use transmission fluid? >

Anyone use transmission fluid?

Anyone use transmission fluid?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Jim,
Miriam just got some, maybe she'll tell us.

Joe
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
ATF is great in transmissions where heat, friction, and hydraulics are in need of a quality oil. The thing is, sewing machines are not transmissions and do not function like transmissions.

The clear oil used as sewing machine oil is designed to work in sewing machines and does that very well. Any machine that sits for any lengthy period of time should be oiled before use as the oil, any type, will run off or evaporate. Some faster than others, but it does dry out.

I have used ATF as a cleaner in really stubborn machines, but when finished I cleaned it out and re-oiled the machine with Tri-Flow and never looked back.

I make suggestions as to what oils / greases to use based on my experience, but I know people will use what ever they want. I suggest Tri-Flow.

Joe
I'm not so sure about sewing machine oil being specifically designed for sewing machines.

The impression that I get from reading the MSDS sheets for these oils is that it is just plain mineral oil.

I have bought a few Singer products recently (seam ripper, bobbins etc) and it all seems to be low quality generic stuff with a Singer badge on it.

I see no reason why the oil would be any different, just cheap bulk mineral oil in a Singer-branded bottle.

I very much doubt that sewing machine oil is formulated in a lab by a team of tribologists. It's just plain off-the-shelf mineral oil that is 'good enough'.

A good example of this is 'Pellgunoil', which is a lubricant specifically designed for Crosman air pistols.

The $2, 1/4oz tube reads 'Specially Developed Formula'.

If you read the MSDS sheet, you can see that 'Pellgunoil' is in fact 'Monolec GFS SAE 30 Engine Oil'.

Most companies would have the good sense to at least change the name on the MSDS, but this is the type of thing that regularly goes on.

Transmission fluid has to be high quality, because it has to meet the stringent specs.

It is true that transmissions are far more hostile places than sewing machines, and ATF is probably overkill, but I'd rather have overkill than, er, underkill?

I'm sure Tri-Flow is also high quality, but 'sewing machine oil'? Not so much.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just stating my case. This is something that I have researched a great deal, and I am very happy with the results.

Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-05-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

FYI - Sewing machine oil was originally made from sperm whales. In fact, from a specific fluid in/near the cranium that has a "waxy" nature to it. The early sewing machine companies documentation make it VERY clear that ONLY the very best Sperm oil should be used and NOT the petroleum based products.

If you think it is tough to get out the residual modenr dried out SM Oil, try a machine that was made in the 1870's that was stored before the petroleum products came out...

Of course those same companies started selling petroleum oil in a few decades.

NOTE of caution: It is ILLEGAL to own and trade in whale products in the US
(EVEN stuff that was produced before the bans!)

People have been prosecuted for selling AND buying it on Ebay.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Jamesbeat, did you join the QB to just stir up the locals?

(You forgot to include any information at all about yourself in your Profile.)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Not at all, and I'm sorry if I came across that way. I'm just being a little evangelical about using ATF, as I have had excellent results with it.

ATF also used to contain whale oil until it was banned. Maybe that's the reason it works so well

Once again, apologies for stirring things up. I'll update my profile now.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

James,

I can't speak for others, but I did not feel like you were "causing trouble" or the like. It is a bit startling to have a person be "evangelical" before they have gotten to know us and us them....

In "my" experience here, the folks that do that are more often than not a "flash in the pan" poster. Here one day, making bold pronouncements to folks with more than a little experience of their own, and then gone the next when not accepted as the new guru.

One gentleman did that a few months ago, and I sent him a cautionary private message, and his response was "oh, I thought this was a site for quilting ladies so I assumed that they would not be very mechanically enclined(SIC)"

WOW...

It was tempting to "out him" but he left on his own....
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Sharing of knowledge is why we come here everyday. We use what works for us in the end. Good to know about all of the products mentioned.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Once again, apologies if I came across that way.
I'm new to sewing, but I am experienced with small mechanical devices, and that experience seems directly applicable to sewing machines.

I tried something, it worked very well, and I thought that it would be a nice gesture upon entering a new forum to offer something to the group, rather than just ask a bunch of questions.

I'm actually here to learn about quilting. I have 'lurked' for some time now because I want to learn to make a few quilts of 8-bit computer graphics.
I realized that I would probably have some questions, so I registered.

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but maybe those 'flash-in-the-pan' posters would have stuck around a little longer if they had met with more friendly responses.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Banned

I hope my responses are coming across friendly. I mean them that way.

I do hope you stick around. I am a similar story here, I've only be around old sewing machines a year or two, but lots of mechanical stuff prior.

In case it was not clear, I do appreciate the offering of new info, really really.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM

I mainly use regular sewing machine oil, though I have also used Tri-Flow on occasion, though I don't buy the really gnarly, seized machines. The ones I buy move freely.

Whatever additives are in ATF likely won't stick around on a sewing machine, but for freeing up stuck machines, it may work pretty good.

Lack of regular oiling, and prolonged periods of disuse are probably what cause varnishing and stickiness, and not using plain old sewing machine oil.