Asphaltum and Enamel Paints

Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Asphaltum and Enamel Paints

I know...there's a very long and detailed thread started by Glenn about the shellac finishes and it's fabulous. But, it was getting so long and I really want to focus on these paint finishes. So, here are my Qs.

Has anyone ever used asphaltum paint on their sewing machines? It's my understanding that this was the painted surface used on most, older, black SMs.

Are there special tricks to using this type of paint?

Did Singer stop using asphaltum paint at a certain year? I have a black FW that really looks like it's enameled and not asphaltum painted.

I'm thinking of completely stripping a SM and repainting it with enamel. Has anyone done this before? Tips, tricks, product suggestions are welcome. Maybe I should be using lacquer instead?

Thanks a bunch!
~ Cindy
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM

There are threads about repaints if you do a search using the search feature. I'm not sure if there's any info about the specific paints you're asking about. I think most people use the paint that is most available in spray cans...whatever that is. Although some folks are lucky enough to have professional sprayers, most of us are limited to resources we can buy easily and is available locally.

If you have a sprayer, you'll have more options for sure.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM

car paint and finger nail polish are the same thing.

Steve posted this recently.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Here's what I have. I haven't used the product yet but ran into it while researching japanning on old hand planes.
http://www.libertyonthehudson.com/pontypool.html
Short of mixing your own, this is as close to the real thing as you're going to get. Spendy, but a little goes a long way.
Rodney
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

There is a video of an old Scottish Singer factory showing their process. the machines were placed on a multi machine rack and dipped in the coating.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM

You can look at Steve's thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t241418.html He's currently repainting this WW 9W using modern paints.
I think it was Glenn (if I'm wrong forgive me..) that mentioned using shellac mixed with black pigment to repair small areas of original finish. That would be a sort of homemade japanning.
My thoughts are I wouldn't repaint an original machine with a good finish but if the finish is shot you're not going to do any harm. Newer, common machines are fair game too.
Rodney
Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You can look at Steve's thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t241418.html He's currently repainting this WW 9W using modern paints.
I think it was Glenn (if I'm wrong forgive me..) that mentioned using shellac mixed with black pigment to repair small areas of original finish. That would be a sort of homemade japanning.
My thoughts are I wouldn't repaint an original machine with a good finish but if the finish is shot you're not going to do any harm. Newer, common machines are fair game too.
Rodney
Yeah, like this poor thing:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t187261.html }
I plan on making it my first repaint when / if I can find or get made a set of decals.

Joe
Old 03-09-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I know...there's a very long and detailed thread started by Glenn about the shellac finishes and it's fabulous. But, it was getting so long and I really want to focus on these paint finishes. So, here are my Qs.

Has anyone ever used asphaltum paint on their sewing machines? It's my understanding that this was the painted surface used on most, older, black SMs.

Are there special tricks to using this type of paint?

Did Singer stop using asphaltum paint at a certain year? I have a black FW that really looks like it's enameled and not asphaltum painted.

I'm thinking of completely stripping a SM and repainting it with enamel. Has anyone done this before? Tips, tricks, product suggestions are welcome. Maybe I should be using lacquer instead?
"Asphaltum paint" is called "Japan" or "Japanning". I started to investigate it two years ago and didn't get that far, mostly due to the smell. You can use the formula for Japan and use a pizza oven to cure it (or a regular oven if you're smell deaf). There's an e-book called "A Handbook on Japanning" here
If I had to guess, I'd say that enamel replaced Japan around the time non-black machines started appearing. Maybe around 1930s?
Everyone uses enamel, because Japanning is hard to do and takes a long time.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Here's what I have. I haven't used the product yet but ran into it while researching japanning on old hand planes.
http://www.libertyonthehudson.com/pontypool.html
Short of mixing your own, this is as close to the real thing as you're going to get. Spendy, but a little goes a long way.
Rodney
Thanks Rodney,

I actually ordered some of this paint from this company and it should arrive any day. It doesn't require any baking. I was thinking of using it for touch ups.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yeah, like this poor thing:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t187261.html }
I plan on making it my first repaint when / if I can find or get made a set of decals.

Joe
Joe,

Let me know how you make out with those decals. Anything other than Singer are hard to find.

~Cindy