Athena Singer 2000

Old 08-20-2015, 11:58 AM

My grandma offered to leave me her Athena 2000 (as the favorite granddaughter who loves to sew), but I told her I'd rather have her 1950 Morse Fotomatic. When the time came several years ago, I gave my cousin the Athena and kept the Morse. I love the Morse, it's probably going to sew forever!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
My grandma offered to leave me her Athena 2000 (as the favorite granddaughter who loves to sew), but I told her I'd rather have her 1950 Morse Fotomatic. When the time came several years ago, I gave my cousin the Athena and kept the Morse. I love the Morse, it's probably going to sew forever!
hehehe I like the way you think.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM

I'm also going to say that when service techs sometimes call a "board" in the machine - especially without any real inspection - it's often not the board. The 2000 has a fuse that blows and the assumption is the board.

Now, the information I'm going to give here is from memory so further investigation is worth while if anyone does end up with this problem -> The fuse itself looked like it was likely fairly standard but it was wrapped up and inside something (check TnT Repair for more info) and I wouldn't have even suspected there was a fuse in there at all. I lucked onto it by reading one of the documents Terry at TnT had for something else. I'd gotten the machine as a batch of cheapies that were uninspected and thought to be parts machines when the Singer store in town closed. I grabbed 2 of those machines and made one good one out of them with lots of parts leftover. The note on one of the machines said "One of the boards", so I'd been planning to see which ran the best (if at all) and try to rebuild that one hoping that there wasn't the same board fried in each one. Once I changed the fuse (took the whole module/harness from the other one) - that machine test sewed beautifully. Far better than my 290C anyway. Actually, I managed to resurrect about 80% of the machines I'd bought for parts that day. I think I tore down maybe 3 or 4 of them in total.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Yipes! It makes me glad my machines are all really REALLY OLD! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 08-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I think I might have a new old stock computer for that machine somewhere from when I bought out a repair guy's stuff.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I think I might have a new old stock computer for that machine somewhere from when I bought out a repair guy's stuff.
If you do, there's gold in them thar hills. If the machine has lived this long, good chance someone's bonded with it.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
My grandma offered to leave me her Athena 2000 (as the favorite granddaughter who loves to sew), but I told her I'd rather have her 1950 Morse Fotomatic.
The Morses were exceptionally good Japanese machines. I have a gray one, also a Fotomatic, but continue to lust after one of the really chromey blue-and-cream machines; I think they were a little later in the 50s.