Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
attachments- Macybaby, are you out there?  I need your help >

attachments- Macybaby, are you out there? I need your help

attachments- Macybaby, are you out there? I need your help

Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Default attachments- Macybaby, are you out there? I need your help

Well, I could use help from anyone out there that knows a little about these attachments. But, I know Macybaby knows attachments..... any of them. I was at an auction yesterday and there was this box that had some sewing attachments.... and a thimble I wanted. Anyway, I know this is a puzzle box and there was another cardboard box with attachments. Some say Greist... others do not. So, this is what I need to know.

1. Which of the attachments should I put in the puzzle box.... I mean, which ones in the rows go in there? The ones that are in the box, numbered and placed in their places I'm sure go there. But, what is included to make this a complete box of attachments from the rows of attachments I have photos for? And, what machine are these for?

2. I have short shank Singer machines. I think that there are a few attachments that I can use on them..... row 1, #1 and 4 (going from left to right), and row 3, # 2 and 3. Am I correct? Are there other items that will work on my machines?

3. What machine uses those attachments that look like they have a fork? ... Row 2??

Okay, I'm not interested in keeping the attachments that don't fit my machines. Nor am I interested in the puzzle box and its attachments if I can't use them. But I would like to know what I have so I can sell them (or at least try to sell them) with some knowledge about what I am selling.

I hope I haven't ask too much info. And, I'm sorry the pictures of the puzzle box aren't as clear. I'm having some problems with my camera lately. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails att-1.jpg   att-2.jpg   att-3.jpg   att-4.jpg   att-5.jpg  

Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM

1. Anything with the u shaped top clamp does not go in the puzzle box

first picture - tucker on top far left and long ruffler on top far right go in the puzzle box

second picture - row starting with the seam guide - everything with the exception of the screw goes in the puzzle box
third picture - the item on the lower far right goes in the box

I know I've got pictures of my puzzle box showing were they go - I'll post that when I find it. looks like you have most of the set too
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Wow! Okay, this is going to take me some time.... but I'll be back asking more questions.

You are the Attachment queen!! Thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM

An interesting note - you have the older style ruffler clip, but the later style tucker clip, so I'd guess you have a style that came out between the two I have.

The oldest I have is the one on the right - notice that it does not have the center clasp that holds it closed. Instead it has a little hook on the outside of the box.

You also have low numbers stamped on the parts (not serial number). In later sets the numbers are in the 80-90 range, and in the last sets to come out, they are actual serial numbers (5-6 digits). There is also a set for Model 24 and 15 along with the VS style - those two are a lot less common.

This shows how the tucker/quilt guide fit into the brackets, and you need to get the quilt guide just right or it will hit the ruffler and the box won't close. I think that is why they are puzzle boxes because you really need to get the pieces in the right position or you can't close the box. Or you leave them all loose . . .

I don't think there was any real reason why the fartherst back has the attachments on a different side - I've seen them either way in boxes otherwise identical.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 AM

If you want a better picture of how they fit - let me know. I posted ones I already had on photobucket, so they may not show what you are looking for.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 AM

Okay, I have everything you said in the box except the quilting guide 3rd row, #2 and whatever the last thing in row 3 might be. I can't figure out where to put those. I have 4 bobbins and those are in now.

So, this is for a singer.... ?? I know what a 15 is but don't have a clue about a model 24 or VS.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM

The quilting guide slips behind that three prong holder next to the tucker - slip the curved flat part underneath and the long part sticks straight up - and gets in the way of the ruffler when you go to close the box. That last thing in the row is the shirr plate for the ruffler, and it tucks under the ruffler in the box.

Your box is VS - Vibrating shuttle (or long bobbin) the box for the 15 (Improved Family) has a holder that looks like two wires for slipping round bobbins on. The 24 is the chain stitch machine and the attachments and box (inside) look very different.

Puzzle boxes were standard issue for SINGER machines of that era. I believe Greist was working for Singer (or closely with them) at the time. Not long after that they parted ways.

http://needlebar.org/main/puzzles/index.html

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 AM

That's pretty neat the way everything fits. Who would have thought that the quilting guide long part would fit sticking straight up like that. But the box closes..... Yeah! Thanks so much.

Okay, now for the other questions...... what machine do those u-shank attachments fit?

And, can I use any of these attachments on my low shank singer machines?

Like I said, I don't see any need to keep items that I'm not going to use. And, don't beat me up, but I have the vintage machines I want now.... can't see myself getting very many more. 15 machines are enough for me.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 PM

You can use almost all of these on your low shank singer. It's only the shir and under braider (the two funny shapped ones that attach to the bed) that will only fit a long bobbin machine- so that would be 27/28 or 127/128.

For the others, I've got over 12 different ones. Based on the open two and plate with the round cutout, this is probalby the "generic" set that fit some of the less common Mfg machines. The feet may work on a few different machines as the open two (no needle hole) allows for more variation in needle position.

I'd guess you have a set that would fit the New Royal made machines. If you have some machines that take top clamp, put the tucker on and see if the needle lines up with the needle hole. Make sure to keep the tucker square with the machine though.