Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back at it again

Blog Entries

Back at it again

Back at it again, back to dragging old sewing machines home after six months with no new machines. On 6/17/2014 foufymaus posted a thrift store find of a Singer 401A for $10.00. I read the post and shut down my computer and walked to my local Goodwill (about one mile). They had three machines for $24.99 each, two plastic machines with missing power cords and bobbin cases. I behind the plastic machines was a Singer 401A (I nearly jumped up and down right there). Thrift stores here in Southern California normally charge $40.00 plus for anything that runs let alone sews. I dug it out and found that the knobs and lever were frozen, explaining why not priced much higher. I walked home and told my wife and she asked me why I did not buy it and I stated that I did not want to spend the money. She chipped in $10.00 to be part owner and I picked up the machine after locating the power cord and foot control.

Then I went to another thrift store to see if my luck would hold. They had about five machines that looked like they had been parted out. In the group was a dirty machine case with Sears on the handle and a $19.95 price tag. I opened it and found a Kenmore model 158.17560 that looked good but dirty. When I picked it up a Singer box caught my eye, a Touch and Sew Accessories kit containing 17 disks that fit a 400A.

So I am back dragging machines home and enjoying my hobby again. Thanks to this blog and a special thanks to foufymaus for getting me started again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ken

Welcome back!!

Good finds! Glad you decided to get back into vintage machines...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Both look really good to me. The paint appears to be in great shape.
    You did well.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

*squee* congrats on the find, and welcome back! You did great! Awesome finds, I've got my eye out for a Kenmore like yours because I have 3 orphan cam sets. lol I'm also on the hunt for 401 cams too. hehe.

That's a great way to start back up - love both those machines!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments

Blog Entries
    I got a Kenmore 158-17560 for $20 that the man was going to part out. I cleaned it up and oiled it really good and it hums right along. However this machine is missing the reverse lever and I can't find one anywhere so I just sew without doing the reverse. I also did not get any of the cams.

Blog Entries
    Welcome back! Love my 401. Paid more for mine but also got desk cabinet and attachments.

Welcome back! Nice to see the "new" machines!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Ooooh welcome back! I KNOW that feeling when you are so excited to find a really good one! I just got a 401A last weekend-found it at a church rummage sale! I will be sewing on it today while I bake cookies.

I hope the knobs come unstuck easily for you!
    Christy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast