Back clamp feet

Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Back clamp feet

Last Saturday I was luck enough to buy a beautiful 1922 Singer 66 red eye. I was thinking that all of my short shank attachments would fit, but then I noticed that it is a back clamp machine. Does anyone have any back clamp attachments that they would be willing to part with? Glenn is sending me a ruffler, so that is one down and others to go. I can either buy them outright, or trade some high shank attachments for them. I also have some top shank attachments that I don't have a machine for yet. Thanks.
Are the early Singer 66's the only machines that take the back clamp attachments?
Janis
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Let me see what I have duplicates on.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Banned

you might also want to look for the back to side adapter that is available so they WOULD be useful
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Janis,

Perhaps it would be useful to those who might have extras if you would tell us which feet and accessories you have and get as you get them.

Just a thought.

Joe
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Yep...early 66s are the only Singer back clamps. The Wheeler & Wilson 8 and 9 and the Singer 9W are also considered a "back clamp" altho they "insert" into the bar instead of clamping to the back...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM

I converted one of my back mount machines to a side mount- bought the parts on the bay.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM

I hate to admit this and will deny I said it if cornered, but if I had a back clamp machine that was going to be used - a lot, I'd hunt down a side clamp presser foot bar and exchange them. Very easy to do and it doesn't harm the machine one iota. My #1 and #2 66 red eye treadles were both converted to low shank long before I got them. Both came with attachments too. My one and only back clamp 66-1 came with nothing. Coincidentally I already had a set of feet for it. It will stay original as an example.

Joe
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM

I have been looking for back clamp feet for my 66-1 also, or the adapter but I can't seem to find it anywhere. mine came with several feet. the main one is very damaged. someone has pulled the fabric so hard that the needle hit and scared the foot many times I used one of the polish stones on it. It's still very rough. Since I have all the other feet I would like to keep this one as is and use the adapter if I could find it. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 AM

So far all I have in the way of attachments for my Singer 66 are the sewing foot that came with the machine and a ruffler that Glenn sent me.
I don't want to convert it to a side bar machine as it was a 'one owner' machine and I want to keep it the way she had it. It's name is Stacia, after the original owner. I do have a picture of her and also some photos of clothing she made and won blue ribbons on at the state fair. So I do know a little bit of history about my machine and it's original owner. How cool is that!!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
So far all I have in the way of attachments for my Singer 66 are the sewing foot that came with the machine and a ruffler that Glenn sent me.
I don't want to convert it to a side bar machine as it was a 'one owner' machine and I want to keep it the way she had it. It's name is Stacia, after the original owner. I do have a picture of her and also some photos of clothing she made and won blue ribbons on at the state fair. So I do know a little bit of history about my machine and it's original owner. How cool is that!!
That is wonderful that you have so much info on the original owner, and machine.