Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: bases

bases

I have a couple of old machines that seem to work well , one 15-91, and another that is operated by a knee lever that came in a bentwood case , the top of the case is in great shape but the base had fallen apart . My question is what do you do for bases for these old machines that originally came in a wooden base ? They do not sit on a table well and I would like to use these .

I see more broken tops than I do bottoms on the bentwood cases. If you still have all the pieces of the broken bottom you can glue it back together. If not, it may be worthwhile to find a new bottom for it to match the top. You may also be able to find a couple cheap junker machines with good cases at your local thrift store and use the cases from those. I don't like plastic cases on vintage machines but failing the above options a generic new plastic case will at least protect your machines. I just bought a 99 that needs a case. I plan to build a new case (not a bentwood) for it like the vintage cloth covered ones from the 50s. I'll post a tutorial when I do.
    Rodney

The base on my portable 15-91 had fallen apart too. I simply glued it back together with wood glue and screwed the corner blocks back into the base. It was really quite easy, it looks great and no need to buy a new support when you can salvage and repair the original.

There is someone on eBay that sells newly constructed wooden bases as well.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

I rebuild my wooden cases. I use Elmer's Wood Glue Max, paneling nails, and 3/16" plywood to replace the particle board bottoms. Then recover them with the fabric of my choice.

Joe

I fear this bottom is too brittle , but I do have it . I will have to look more closely at it . and I do not have one for the 15-91

Blog Entries
    Joe, what is the process and supplies used for recovering a base with fabric.

Not so much a "process", I just gently take them apart, clean them up, glue the sides back together and usually make a new bottom for the case.
    Then I use what ever fabric I think goes with the machine and cover the cases following the same pattern as they were originally if I can.

{ Sewing machine case repair }
    { Hother case repair finished. }
    { SEWMOR 404 Case redeaux }

I haven't done a tutorial on it because I usually forget to take pics while I'm doing the work. The first thread above has pics and descriptions on how I rebuilt the bottom of that case.

Joe