Basic motor cleaning tutorial

Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Bennett how did the Singer motor overhaul go? I am getting ready to do one and have a question. I mapped out the wiring in the box under the motor and carefully undid it. I will be opening up the motor to clean it and check the brushes and the commutator.

I am confused about the grease tubes. I've tried to research and am not sure if the tubes get oil or grease or if they are packed with felt or not?

In general, it's confusing since I am reading that some motors have felts, some don't, some get grease, some oil, some have oil holes? over the bearings and some don't. OKay, one motor at a time. The basic Singer motor with little silver tubes at the ends..grease or oil? Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:40 AM

I tore down the Singer motor last night. It had been sparking pretty badly and the inside was really dirty with carbon dust. I had some difficulty when I took it apart because I didn't understand where the brushes were. Once I got it all cleaned up I had no problems getting it back together except for this one piece.

When I first pulled the two halves apart this fell out. I do not know which way it was in. It looks like maybe a spring type thing. It's thin metal. My best guess is that it came from between the housing and ??

My gut feeling is that it doesn't really belong in the motor but would love some input from others.

I haven't run the motor yet since I still have to attach the wires in the terminal today.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0026-640-x-426-.jpg