Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Before You Plug Your Vintage Machine in............Yes Safety First!!!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Okay since there has been all this interest in vintage machines there is something that really needs to be addressed.....The electrical parts of the machine!!

    I am doing the tutes on cleaning and rewiring of your machines and the machine that I am using is my 1926 Singer 128. Well if I had plugged it into the wall before checking the electrics I would have caught the machine on FIRE or SHOCKED myself on it. Every connection was loose and there was some wires touching because of that and when I hit the Kneebar I would have felt it hit me like a brick!!!!

    Always thoroughly check the electrical out on the machine before plugging it in the wall. Check for cracks in the wiring or exposed areas, loose connections and so forth. If you have to you can take it to a professional and have him look at it.

    Your life is not worth being careless!!

    Here are some photos showing where the connections were so loose it would have been fatal to me and the machine!

    Billy

    after taking the cover off to see the wiring
    Name:  Attachment-55241.jpe
Views: 292
Size:  65.5 KB

    The first loose connection
    Name:  Attachment-55310.jpe
Views: 296
Size:  72.5 KB

    the lugs that the cord plugs into. These were so loose and the wires were touching other wires that would have shocked ar caught on fire!!
    Name:  Attachment-55382.jpe
Views: 289
Size:  78.7 KB

    The female connectors that plugged into the lugs
    Name:  Attachment-55383.jpe
Views: 314
Size:  82.9 KB

    After making sure everything was secure and the wiring was in order I plugged it in and turned the light on and ran the mottor with the kneebar!!!
    Name:  Attachment-55384.jpe
Views: 287
Size:  41.6 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,305
    Hey Billy, where were you years ago when I plugged in that machine and sparks flew everywhere???? LOL No damage but to my nerves. Lesson learned quickly.

  3. #3
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,854
    Blog Entries
    44
    Good advice! I will post of duzzy on a Singer portable I pick up.

  4. #4
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,066
    I need to fix the wiring on my 201-2. Thanks Billy!

  5. #5
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,127
    Billy,
    My husband had to lenthin the wire for my foot petal as it was to short. When he striped the wire he found asbestos coating on the wires. Now he want to change all the wiring in the machine as the asbestos is cracked and flaking and the outer coating of the wires isn't the best. By changing the wires will it devalue the machine?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
    Billy,
    My husband had to lenthin the wire for my foot petal as it was to short. When he striped the wire he found asbestos coating on the wires. Now he want to change all the wiring in the machine as the asbestos is cracked and flaking and the outer coating of the wires isn't the best. By changing the wires will it devalue the machine?
    Not if you plan on wanting to use it. You can find the cloth covered wiring at lamp shops and it will not have asbestos in the insulation. If you want to maintain the integrity of the machine I would go that route.

    My cousin restores Fans from the teens and twenties and she gets her cloth wiring from a lamp supplier on the net. I will call her if I remember and ask her what site she goes to, but if you Google it you should find it no problem.

    Billy

  7. #7
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,127
    Thank you for the information Billy

  8. #8
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,897
    Glad your ok Billy. Course that comes with experience, doesn't it? :lol:

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Glad your ok Billy. Course that comes with experience, doesn't it? :lol:
    Fortunately I never had that happen to me but I have knocked the living stew out of me when I have grounded myself out when I was welding.

    Hurted like hell but it was funny!!!

    Billy

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,963
    That is scary. You are so right......safety first. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.