Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Belts for vintage machines

Belts for vintage machines

Recently Joe posted some info regarding belts for vintage machines. He mentioned the proper belt to use. Here are pics to the two types I have, one from Featherweight (flat)and one from my 15-91 (round rubber). Name:  machine belts 001.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  136.9 KBI think that is what it is-a Japanese clone.) Which one is the proper one? Thank you for any info you can give me. I really appreciate your help.
    Kitsy

The round rubber one is not great for motors. The one on the left is good. Lug belts are good too.

The V-belt puts much less tension on the motor bushings than the round rubber belt. The 15 clone didn't come with that round rubber band belt. It came with a V-Belt. Those rubber band belts came along later as a cheap and quick way to put a belt on the machines. They put a constant heavy load on the motor shaft bushings and can cause and accelerate wear on those parts.

The belt on the left is correct and preferred.

Joe

Candace and Joe,

Thanks for the info, I will be ordering some for my machines. Now that I know how to post pics I want to show my vintage machines. Should I do it on this thread or is there someplace else it should go?
    Kitsy