Bernina 930 record problems

Old 11-18-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Bernina 930 record problems

I hope someone can give me some guidance. I went to an estate sale yesterday and found a Bernina 930 record with its case and all accessories for $10. I plugged it in and it ran fine. I do own a Bernina 153 QE but did not know much about the 930. Today I cleaned/oiled the machine, cleaned the case, feet etc and sat down to give it a test run with some fabric when all of a sudden the machine started smoking, cracking and popping Scared the bejesus out of me I unplugged it and did notice that neither the wall plug, cables or the foot controller look burnt or damaged. The machine itself looks fine from the outside as well. I started doing some research and am wondering if it could be a capacitor. My question now is how much something like that would run to repair? I practically got the machine for free and saw on ebay that they still go for $500-$1000 so would be willing to put some money into it. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Old 11-18-2016, 01:41 PM

I think the 930 has these capasitor near the motor behind the cover of the machine. It's a routine repair for a service guy, and should not cost more than a what you would expect for a relatively easy repair. I don't know what the going rate is these days, a standard service on a machine can vary quite a lot from shop to shop for much the same job.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I think the 930 has these capasitor near the motor behind the cover of the machine. It's a routine repair for a service guy, and should not cost more than a what you would expect for a relatively easy repair. I don't know what the going rate is these days, a standard service on a machine can vary quite a lot from shop to shop for much the same job.
Yes, I figured I would take her up to my Bernina dealer/ service guy and have the machine looked over and serviced. Especially since my hubby came home last night and turned the machine on and it was running fine! No smoke, noise, popping etc He thinks that there might have been dust on the contacts inside. I definitely had to clean the machine, case, accessories etc when I got it home. I had originally found the machine in the garage of the house the estate sale was in with the case not locked on one side so who knows how long it had been sitting there collecting dust.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

It's a very nice machine and it just purrs when it's running well.

I paid $600 for mine two years ago and considered that a bargain.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:43 AM

I have a 930 that I purchased new in 1985 and paid $1,500.00 for it on sale. You got a freebie there. I wish I could find steal on another 930 like that. I think it would definitely be worth taking to your Bernina repairman and have him check it out. I love mine ad have never had any problems with it yet. I wouldn't trade mine for any new or old machine. I have no idea about the issues you are having, sorry I can't help you out there, but I hope you get them resolved and get to enjoy your new machine.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 AM

I just got my 930 back from being serviced. It was $79
i think they are SO WORTH having looked at. I LOVE my machine. Bought it new in 1984....
Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 AM

I think the 930 was of the last ones where the user manual had illustrations on how to open the top of the machine, the top of the freearm comes off for oiling and cleaning. Lots of points to oil and places to clean. I think you unscrew the face plate to replace the light bulb. If you get one of those LED bulbs it's an advantage to have a type where at least some of the ligth diodes point down wards (some lamps have the bulb laying horizontally, and that makes a difference. I guess high Wattage LEDs will give more light regardless (like 7W and 10W).

The sparks and smoke could come from dust in the motor, and I have read it's rather common when having new carbon brushes fitted. They need time to run in and fit the copper parts on the part that turns in side there (can't remember what it's properly called lol). It's always nice to get a professional tune up on them, and with a service at $79, it's still the best bargain I have heard of in a long time

:- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-20-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Local Bernina guy refused to fix my 830 Record. Didn't want the liability. My foot controller stuck on at maximum speed.
The Bernina guy also told me the 930 was better that the 830 Record.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Those old Berninas are like gold... it's well worth getting it repaired. I have an 830 record... the second one I have had since the 1970s. I did all my FMQ on it before I got my Juki 2010Q. Still keeping that Bernina, tho. Forever.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM

I like the older too, the 530, a 730 is a favorite of mine, the 830 is well worth the effort too. The advantage with the 930 is the extra strong motor and the stretchy stitches, and clever functions in the pedal. There's absolutely no reason to put any of them down or up against each other. I have a 900 Nova, more portable and very nice too. The 930 has a more advanced electronic board, and I know the clever repair guys know how to solder on capasitors, repairs are worth it. Find the right guy and he/she will be able to fix it.