Bernina - generally

Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM

Bernina feet aren't difficult to find, but not easy to find at a price you rather have it. They turn up though; from almost any model 800 numbers and down will fit your machine, and a few newer too. I think you just have to buy a new bobbin case, I doubt it can be glued.

The pedal sounds like it can be fixed, there are a few repair guys in the yahoo group, they might know whats' wrong. I expect a bit of work and to spend a bit on a fix up machine, I guess I would hand one if for a service (to the right person!), but I actually like to clean up and fix what I can my self.

These Berninas are easy to work with, little to no fuzz with tension, zigzag, finetuning the satin stitch is easy. They are very well behaved machines.

Remember to take out needle and remove presser foot before you pop up the top of the free arm; the finish is easily scratched compared to old Singers. They shine up very well, I have polished mine with liquid car polish.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:34 AM

When the pedal goes from slow to full speed, it just needs the capacitor replaced with the thermal switch. That thermal switch is a free item that you can get from your Bernina dealer, and is very easy to install. Some pedals have the thermal switch AND the capacitor. If that's the case, you just cut the capacitor out and leave the wires with the thermal switch.

The bobbin case latch gets bent at the small curled end. If it's not too bent, you can put it back together and keep using it. If the latch pops off every time you use it, you should probably replace it. Looks like you've got all of the parts.

I wish you were in my neighborhood. The old Bernina 8 series are my favorite machine to service!