Best machine ever?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:59 AM

I forgot to mention the Singer 401. I like it so much when I found a second one I decided to keep that one too!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Oh golly! I am so excited to get my Pfaff 332 up and running! You give it such a nice review.
I am still searching for a Necchi Supernova.
I've never used one, but just imagine it to be as pleasant as the 260.

Most of the Necchis I've seen have (of course) been owned by Italians who I've noticed treat their machines mean. Make sure you get a good one. If it's seized up or really dirty (Frudemoo had one she described as dirty as a BBQ and never got it running well) be very wary, as in don't touch it with a barge pole.

JudyTheSewer, Frudemoo described her Bernina 740 as "just really pleasant to sew with". It's hard to be more specific but smooth, quiet and strong is shared between all my breath takers. The Supernova also had the automatic embroidery cams that did a fully filled pattern, which I was blown away with too.

Liking Quilting, this is why we all have so many machines. You hear about something great, see one, next you know you have ten of them in your lounge room table
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM

I love my Featherweight! And didn't really expect to. It's lightweight, takes up very little space, and just purrs along making the nicest straight stitches! I have a newer computerized Janome that's not much heavier, but I just keep taking my FW to classes and group sewing. The Bernina 830 (old style) is also a dynamite machine, but I don't carry it anywhere! I've done some halfway decent FMQ on it. I've been a bit disappointed with my Bernina 750 QE, although it's nice to have all that throat space.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Good comments, everyone. I've only been quilting four close to 4 years. I still work 5 days a week and have lots of hobby chores (ponies, cats, dog) and have Dad and father-in-law in nursing home & assisted living. Life is still too busy to get involved with too many machines. I actually have already collected more machines than I care to admit but have not found the time to put into them like I need to. I keep going to my trusty 301A when I have a chance to sew. Some day I hope to learn to operate all of them.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 PM

I love my 401A and bought it new in 1958. Been in hospital only once for routine maintenance. Would never get rid of it.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM

Best machine ever in my collection is a Pfaff 332-260 from 1957 which is the machine I learned to sew on in the 1970s. It has made things that would grind other machines to a halt. I've used it so much I've worn most of the paint off of the bed and there's even a U shape worn under the reverse knob.

The others with that pulse quickening response are my Necchi BU which is my go-to machine for many projects; Singer 201 and Supernova are also nice and the 301 for FMQ. A Nelco Amica (a badged Vigorelli) was a pleasant surprise and it doesn't want to go slow at all. Recently, the Lady Kenmore 89 has become another powerful surprise after getting it unstuck as it had been frozen solid. Those are probably the favorites in my collection.

Best machine I've ever used was probably an industrial Singer 591 but I didn't own it.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
Best machine ever in my collection is a Pfaff 332-260 from 1957.
Is it a 332 or 260? These 1950s Pfaffs have quite a few mentions here
Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Is it a 332 or 260? These 1950s Pfaffs have quite a few mentions here
It's both - a 332-260. That's what mine is, as well. It only says 332 on the body, but the 260 part refers (I believe) to the fact that it has the built-in cams and all the extra stitches. A plain 332 doesn't have the bulge and swinging door on top to get to the cam selector.

For me, it is a copy of the machine I learned on, so it's both the baseline I compare other machines to, AND it seems very boring and ordinary. So while I know it's a great machine and I have a very special place in my heart for it, it's not a very exciting machine for me because it's not "new" to me.

I think the machine that surprised me the most and I'm the most fond of is my Rocketeer. I loved it for its looks long before I got into sewing or vintage machines, and when I finally got one I expected it to sew poorly...just because I assumed they spent all their effort on the looks and not on the function. To my surprise and delight I've found it to be a wonderful machine to sew on! Somehow it's just FUN to use, and it makes wonderful stitches. And the style is just not to be beaten, I love that atomic-era look.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Love my 301s - would grab that in a fire/emergency type situation after the important papers file folder. I have a machine made in Occupied Japan that I love for mending DH's jeans (frequent job) that I absolutely love and both my Berninas. I have a 117L and a vintage 730. I have only ever sewn on 2 machines that I didn't like and suspect a lack of maintenance issue with one and a lack of knowledge on both mine and the owner's part for the 2nd machine.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rodney;7161384]Great discussion!
Cari: Your experience is the opposite of mine. I was very impressed by my Singer 401A. I thought it would be about the same as sewing with a Touch & Sew. It's not, it' far better. It's a very smooth running and powerful machine. Even though the Touch & Sew series are descended from the 400 series machines, the 401A is superior to them.

Rodney,
It's not a problem with the slants. They're great machines, I just can't seem to bond with them(exception-my 301s).

Cari