Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best old Singers are FWs/201s?

Okay... so since I'm now interested in old Singers....

What are the best old Singers out there? When I'm at a garage sale, or a junk shop, etc... .what do I look for? (I KNOW what a FW looks like, lol, and that it's tiny compared to the 301? that also had a deck extension...). But what about the others? What are the better machines to actually use in quilting?

And in treadles, I'll only be able to afford to 'find' one... (because of space). So what do I look for? White? Singer? Someother? What 'tests' can I do to see if it's working, or at least fixable?

My first vintage machine was a FW but then I got my first Singer 301 and I absolutely love that model. I now have 1 black, 2 mochas and 3 working two-tones (LBOW) and 1 LBOW that was bought for parts but I want to try to get it running---it will be my 'learning' machine.

Blog Entries
    I have the 301, and a FW and if I had to give up one it would be the FW. But I love her too. Nothing comes close to old vintage Singers stitches. I am looking for a Singer Rocketeer in perfect sewing condition. One day I'll find it when I least expect to.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have the 301, and a FW and if I had to give up one it would be the FW. But I love her too. Nothing comes close to old vintage Singers stitches. I am looking for a Singer Rocketeer in perfect sewing condition. One day I'll find it when I least expect to.
    Keep checking your local Craigslist. I found a Rocketeer in a nice cabinet for $50.00 being sold by a guy that was cleaning out some stuff left to him by his grandmother. I know that other people can get these machines for less but I thought that was a pretty good price for something that I had wanted for awhile.

I have a few old ones too, but not a FW or 301. WOuld love those, but I really like the ones I have!

Blog Entries
    I have a 201 that I bought in 1952, and it has never been in the shop. At the moment it is stored at my son's (it's a desk model), but I'm thinking of putting it in a carrying case and bringing it home. Can you do that? Some of the pics I've seen on here look as though they might have been in cabinets at one time or another.

Check out this You Tube video!! Now I want one of these!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKYC7O64pNg
    I wonder which model it is?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    OMG! I want one! I wonder how long it takes him to make one. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Okay... so since I'm now interested in old Singers....

What are the best old Singers out there? When I'm at a garage sale, or a junk shop, etc... .what do I look for? (I KNOW what a FW looks like, lol, and that it's tiny compared to the 301? that also had a deck extension...). But what about the others? What are the better machines to actually use in quilting?

And in treadles, I'll only be able to afford to 'find' one... (because of space). So what do I look for? White? Singer? Someother? What 'tests' can I do to see if it's working, or at least fixable?
    If you get a Singer treadle then you only need one treadle for the Singer machines. The machine heads can be changed. That is what some people have done. They display their machines not in use on shelves while rotating through their collection. OR you can modify the cabinet top to hold any machine head (which is what Billy has done, he has a picture posted on the vintage thread).
    Here is a list of cabinets that Singer made :http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...nets.html#1591

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Wow, that person is an artist for sure!! :D