Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best way to store flake shellac? >

Best way to store flake shellac?

Best way to store flake shellac?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Best way to store flake shellac?

Hi,

This is really a question for Uncle Skip (aka Glenn), but I thought that others could benefit from the info so I am starting a thread rather than a PM.

What is the best way to store powder/flake shellac? In a glass jar, in a dark place?

Is there a shelf life to the unmixed flake/powder?

Many thanks in advance!

p.s. Vinnie is taking a sabbatical for the moment because I have become busy in Real Life. But I will tend to him soonish and look forward to being able to post success photos... eventually! :-)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM

You can store flake shellac in any container as long as you don't use metal. Use zip lock bags or glass jars with a tight lid then store in a dry dark place like a cabinet. It will keep for a very very very long time until it is mixed. Once mixed with denatured alcohol you have about a year to use it before it will not cure and get a hard finish. I have had some flake shellac stored in storage by the Army when stationed in Germany for six years and it was just fine when we returned to the states. The shelf life is actually about two years. You can tell if it has reached the shelf life it will not dis
Skipsolve completely in the alcohol and leaves a gooy mess in the bottom of the liquid. So if you have not used it in a year or two plefase test it first. If past the shelf life and you use it as a finish it will remain tacky forever and will have to be removed before applying a fresh coat.

Skip
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks, Glenn!

(BTW I like your name! Not that you had much of a say in it, but hey. Cleveland the city was in its day such a noble town. Such wonderful buildings there!)