Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best way to touch up japanning? >

Best way to touch up japanning?

Best way to touch up japanning?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 AM

Default Best way to touch up japanning?

Hi all

I was enjoying reading the step by step on how to revive and restore the shellac on older machines and unfortunately when I tried to reply my computer froze up and I couldn't find it again...

But my specific question is: What do you do when your finish looks like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416158[/ATTACH]I'm hoping you can see the section where there's a reddish reflection, because I presume that this is the only remaining section of shellac, which I know I can restore... but I'm unsure what to do about the pitting in the japanning where the metal is visible. How is it best to fill these in?

Here are a couple more pics. I think the machine is in great condition for an 1896 gal so I'd love to preserve her beauty and make the bed a smoother surface to sew on.

Thanks!
Amelia

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416165[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416166[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails silveringandpitting.jpg   sphynxsilvering.jpg   sphynxoverall.jpg  

Last edited by frudemoo; 05-30-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: I wrote 1986... she's missing her peroxide perm and hair scrunchie!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM

I've never touched up an old machine, although I have a couple that need it.

Read this by our own Skipper: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html }
If that doesn't answer your questions PM him and he'll help.

Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM

I don't think I'm much help this morning. I'm not totally comprehending what I'm reading. Sigh .............

The only machine I've touched up the edges on was a 15 clone and I used Testers model paint. Didn't turn out too bad, but it's not perfect. Contact Glenn ( Skip ) and he'll tell you how to do that.

Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Banned

Fru -

There are three levels of options as far as I know.

1. Original process - Linseed Oil and asphaltum mixed as a "paint" and then baked on.
2. Close to original - Shellac and black powdered pigment mixed as paint (baked or not)
3. well, it's Black - any good quality lacquer paint
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM

Steve...

I never knew that. WOW! I'm going to try it. Do you know where you can be asphaltum?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 AM

Thanks everyone. I think it's the depth of the pitting that has me stumped as I don't know how I would go about 'filling' them with the paint. Maybe just lots of layers over a couple of weeks or something. Or maybe the shellac will even out the surface once I've blacked them in again.

Thanks for the link on restoring the shellac - that's the one I had been reading when I got kicked off and couldn't find it again!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM

paint does "build up" eventually. If you go that route, just make sure you don't rush it, and many thin coats are better than one or two thick coats, for oh so many reasons.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM

After going thru hell and back with shellac...enamel everything but the kitchen sink, I came upon wipe on Poly. Folks..dont holler..it works great. You get a nice smooth finish. Who knew? Fw looking better. Pics soon.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

I would add that I have learned to use Duplicolor DE1635. It is a ceramic paint that is thick like Japanning. It flows like Japanning. I have used it to paint an area after a break repair and it blends right in. I have also sprayed it into a cup and then painted with a touch-up brush
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by psdumas View Post
After going thru hell and back with shellac...enamel everything but the kitchen sink, I came upon wipe on Poly. Folks..dont holler..it works great. You get a nice smooth finish. Who knew? Fw looking better. Pics soon.
Glad it's working for you. Not something I would ever do. Well maybe on the 1970s pine front dresser I have but never on a sewing machine or fine wood cabinet.

Cari