Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Binding Foot for thick layers? >

Binding Foot for thick layers?

Binding Foot for thick layers?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Ron,

Could you post a picture showing the binding being installed?

Joe
Joe, 1st photo is a setup of 1 inch binding on a scrap of lawn chair sling material. The second is a photo of the stitch. Notice I started the stitching with the needle centered. Then switched to needle left making a better balance of margins. If I was seriously setting it up, I'd probably adjust the attachment to use needle center stitching. This was a quick setup for demonstration. If I was joining materials the lower material would be entering stitch area from below the attachment's plate.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]436771[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 09-18-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Better explanation.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Ron,

Thanks, those pics say a lot. How thick can you go with the material that you bind. I'm thinking of quilts.

Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Ron,

Thanks, those pics say a lot. How thick can you go with the material that you bind. I'm thinking of quilts.

Joe
The metal is maliable so I assume one can open the throat of the attachment and feed as much material as the SM can handle.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Ron's attachement is cheaper but seems to work the same way; the main difference is mine have an articulated "arm" that allow to put the binding tool away if you want to sew. It`s convenient if you are doing several sewing tasks with the same sewing machine and don't want to screw/unscrew it each time. I must admit I'm very lazy ;-)
The result if very nice; waaaay better of what I can achieve when I'm trying to bind the old fashion way.
Yes, Sailrite.com has the swinging arm type to fit my machine. It would be a must if one was using the attachment a lot. Mine is time consuming and a little frustrating to get set. Consequently, it doesn't get used much. It's easier to eye ball no more binding than I do.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Or .......... If one has multiple machines one could set one up with the binder and leave it. I think that's what I'd do.

Ron, is your machine a ZZ or SS? And is that a walking foot I see?

Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Or .......... If one has multiple machines one could set one up with the binder and leave it. I think that's what I'd do.

Ron, is your machine a ZZ or SS? And is that a walking foot I see?

Joe
Joe, it's a ZZ, but if I had it to do over, I'd get the SS. However, it was my entry into the world of sewing. If I knew what I know now, I'd have bought a 403 or 15. They will do everything I need. I do some contract marina sewing with the Reliable which can be done with a Vtg Singer. But, it's more impressive to show up with a heavy monster that probably doesn't do as fine a job as a 201. Can one imagine the chuckles I'd get showing up at the marina with a 75-80 year old machine?

It is a walking foot. So, I can do special jobs such as multi-layered webbing sewing.

Last edited by Vridar; 09-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GFjQfc-n0
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Thank you again everyone!

I ended up ordering the Sailrite swing-away, 1" binding attachment. Definitely not the cheapest, but with the time and effort it will save me (not to mention what I hope will be a superior result!), it will be well worth it! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent and how many tears I've shed in abject frustration in trying to bind the inner seams of these instrument cases! (Though I do still expect to have a bit of trouble with the concave curves...)

Since I have to do these on every single thing I sell, I decided to go with the swing-away version for just $10 more than the stationary one.

Fingers crossed!!! And Macy- I'll let you know how this works for the cardboard-thick layers of a 3-dimensional case if you'd like! Maybe we can help save your husband some time and suffering!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DBaila View Post
Thank you again everyone!

I ended up ordering the Sailrite swing-away, 1" binding attachment. Definitely not the cheapest, but with the time and effort it will save me (not to mention what I hope will be a superior result!), it will be well worth it! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent and how many tears I've shed in abject frustration in trying to bind the inner seams of these instrument cases! (Though I do still expect to have a bit of trouble with the concave curves...)

Since I have to do these on every single thing I sell, I decided to go with the swing-away version for just $10 more than the stationary one.

Fingers crossed!!! And Macy- I'll let you know how this works for the cardboard-thick layers of a 3-dimensional case if you'd like! Maybe we can help save your husband some time and suffering!
Of course there is a learning curve. I struggled with mine yesterday, because I was binding a cotton/minky blanket for my son. After an hour of ripping, I suddlendly remember that minky is always the responsable for anything going wrong; I turned the blanket and sewed with the minky up side. Bingo. So anything slippery should go up! It don't really matter because the binding make a perfect nice stitch on each side.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm waiting until my husband is home this weekend to look over them and decide what to get. I'm looking at a set for the Bernina - I expect they will fit any machine, but if not, Dh's Bernina can always be used for all binding.