Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bonnie Hunter praising Singer 400 series machines on her quilt cam >

Bonnie Hunter praising Singer 400 series machines on her quilt cam

Bonnie Hunter praising Singer 400 series machines on her quilt cam

Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I didn't say all. I said many. This is why Berninas and Pfaffs remain popular and loved. It's all about preference. I prefer the vertical bobbin assemblies for FMQing. So do longarm manufacturers since they all are vertical and not drop ins.
I agree 100%! Just couldn't help ribbing you a little.
ive always been biased and preferred the vertical. But then my first real machine was my Bernina 1130 and I still use that machine on a daily basis. Always has amazed me a little to see so many modern machines as a drop in. I am sure mostly a marketing tool for "ease" of bobbin insertion even if it potentially impacts stitch quality, etc.

Last edited by Cogito; 02-27-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
What I like about the Singer 404.
It just does straight stitch - single needle hole.
It has a slant needle - less straining your neck trying to see what you are doing.
It has a class 66 bobbin - bigger bobbin = more thread
It has a front thread needle position - easier to thread and keep track of which way it goes.
The bobbin area is easy to clean thread nests.
All that adds up to better especially for beginning sewists.
If all you are worried about is free motion quilting, find a Singer 15 or a clone and set it up to do just only free motion - then you don't have reset your machine.
What would be set up differently (admit ignorance)? Putting a hopping foot on......and? I think I read the upper tension needs to be loosened...anything else? I am getting ready to set up a 15-91. Which type/brand hopping foot is best for this? Sorry.....hijacking thread.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
What would be set up differently (admit ignorance)? Putting a hopping foot on......and? I think I read the upper tension needs to be loosened...anything else? I am getting ready to set up a 15-91. Which type/brand hopping foot is best for this? Sorry.....hijacking thread.
What ever you are most comfortable using...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Now I'm going to have to do some testing between my vertical and drop-in bobbin machines...I've only done FMQ on my Janome 6600 which is drop-in and it never occurred to me that the bobbin style would make a difference. MOST of my machines are drop-in, but I have a couple verticals. Of course the 6600 is really the only one with a big throat...

(Sorry, more hijacking!)

I've never sewn on a 400-series, but I recently took my Rocketeer with me on a little vacation and I am REALLY in love with that machine now. It sews SO nice. I'm sure I'll get ahold of a 400-series some day but so far one hasn't fallen into my hands.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM

I really like drop in bobbins. I would really like to know what you feel are the advantages of the vertical bobbin. I don't have much experience with the vertical bobbins. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I don't love drop in bobbins and I know many quilters that are less than enamored with them. I think the prices of 400 series machines are safe:>
Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Bhanes,
I was told that the difference between the way a vertical bobbin machine and drop-in bobbin machine works, is that the drop-in style has an extra bend that the top thread takes and the vertical bobbin style is much straighter.
I have older Berninas, Pfaffs and Singer with the vertical bobbin for FMQ, it just seems to work best for me. I have been FMQ since 1993, I have some machines that are drop-in and don't seem to have much success. The one exception is my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2(sorry its a modern plastic wonder), most of my quilting is done with this machine.
Sharon in Texas
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM

The vertical bobbin gives a smoother thread path. It doesn't deliver at the same angle a horizontal bobbin does and the passage of thread is smoother.

I always come back to my Singer 301 for fmq, even though I have other machines that can do it. I love the machine and the vertical bobbin. I do use my Singer 401 and 500 for straight-line quilting and decorative stitches.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 PM

BTW, since this thread is about Bonnie Hunter, I took my Singer 301 (named JoyBoy cause he's such a joy to use) to Bonnie's class at the Vermont Quilt Festival a couple years ago. She made it a point to come over and pet him a few times. She did not do that with any other machines, not even some nice looking Featherweights. She knows her vintage machines! She told me stories of a few of her finds. And then there was the Featherweight that the flight attendant refused to let her keep on the plane (although that is normal for her to do) because they were late loading and the overhead bin was full. The lovely Featherweight was smashed and destroyed in transit in the cargo hold; I haven't heard yet if the airline reimbursed Bonnie or not. I sent them a letter about it and I think other quilters did, also.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 PM

Yes, purplefiend is right on.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 AM

I think Bonnie uses her 401 primarily for piecing, she has a longarm for FMQ.