bringing home two

Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM

Default bringing home two

DH bought a 328 Singer. $25 which is his main criteria. I found a cute 3/4 size National made Wards vs machine. Will post pictures when we get home.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
DH bought a 328 Singer. $25 which is his main criteria. I found a cute 3/4 size National made Wards vs machine. Will post pictures when we get home.
I knew it. Can't control it , ha. Excited to see your new machines.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 AM

Here are yesterday's finds (not including what we got at the gun show, but that's for a different venue LOL!).

The two machines.

DH is going to fix up the 328 and see if one of my college age nieces want it. Two of my younger sibs each have two girls, and all four of them are interested in learning to sew - and they don't like the plastic models available at the store. They want to learn how to make quilts, do crafts and mend jeans - so this should work fine LOL!!

And the baby - Wards Brunswick 3/4 size National made machine. I have the original 20 year guarantee dated 4/39. THere are hand written notes - original cost $27.50, repaired once 1969 for $12. It's got rather horrid pin rash, and the cabinet has some serious issues and is nothing fancy so I want DH to make me a base for this and I'll use it in one of the Singer tables I have (that you can drop the case into).

Now I can cross National VS off my Want List.

And here are a few other items. A couple boxes of attachments.
These are in a copper box - and the feet are marked Eldridge.

The pamphlet says "Johnston Ruffler Company" and the seam ripper has patenet 1877 on it. I was really interested in the little conversion attachment that would go on the presser bar so you could use the top clamp feet. It is part of the set - I've never seen one with the lever like that before.

This is interesting - the different diameter between the hemmer foot and the clamp attachment. Both are larger in diameter than what I have for the New Home. Now I may have to look for an older Eldridge machine - made before the company changed it's name to National. Not super old though . . .

The other box - opened it up and saw this in it . . .

So, other than being a poor condition Greist box with only a few Greist attachments, it's also got a ruffler and braider for a Davis Vertical Feed machine. Unfortunately the self sewer is missing the little bracket for the toe. Not that I needed another ruffler for the VF - but it was only $7.50 so why not . . .

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-12-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 AM

Nice hunting! I am amazed at your ability to look at something and boom, know what it is & what it fits. Now that's talent!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 AM

thanks GreyQ - it's one of the things that makes me really good at my professional job - which in turn helps to fund my sewing machine addiction LOL!!

for me next trick - I'm going to see if I can figure out how to tell the 12 Boye shuttles apart. Right now a set of them along with my New Home machine is on it's way from Des Moines to Sioux Falls. So it's getting closer and I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday! YEA!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Cathy,

You're a wonder! I've always spent my time sewing, instead of learning about the machines. I'm getting old enough now that I'm having senior moments! LOL!

You go, Girl! Have fun with it!

Jeanette
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Nice finds! The more and more I learn about these vintage machines, the attachments and such from you all, the more I want to look and see what's all out there. I love that you have all this knowledge and are so willing to share!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM

I've spent most of today sewing LOL!! Finally getting back to my One Block Wonder for my king size bed.

There is just so much neat vintage sewing stuff out there. I stick to sewing machines and attachments, though I do have a couple of vintage Singer Aids such as electric scissors and hem markers.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM

Cathy - When I started out I just thought wow look at this old machine then got hooked... your posts sparked my interest in the attachments! A few weeks ago I purchased my second 15-91 for $3 with cabinet, what I didn't know was that there was a sewing box and a cardboard cabinet that went with it! It was like a treasure hunt! I came out with a Singercraft Guide!
Attached Thumbnails 19-aug-2010-001.jpg