Bushing removal

Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Bushing removal

Hi all, I've been a lurker these past couple of months and learned a lot here about bringing old SMs back to life. However, I've run into a problem while trying to convert an electrified model 15 into a handcrank. I lucked into a crank (just the crank, no machine attached to it) on Craigslist a few weeks ago. I also happen to have a treadle model 127 with a spoked wheel. Super I says, I'll just remove the two handwheels, slap the spoked wheel on the model 15 and voila! I've got myself my handcrank machine!

Unfortunately, the 127's wheel isn't exactly the same as the 15's...the hub of the 127 wheel is longer than the hub of the 15's wheel. I found Rain's VSSM blog and he's got a post (7/23/11) that says I need to also remove a bushing from the 127 that makes the shaft longer. Rain claims it can be done with the right tools (which I'm sure I have none of lol) and that he'll write up a tute sometime in the future, but I can't seem to find it on his blog. Can anyone give me some tips on removing the bushing, or point me to a webpage that gives directions for this? TIA.

Susan
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM

Sew-Classic.com may have a conversion wheel. Ask Jennie at Sew-Classic.com. You may not have to cannibalize your 127 after all. Their prices are as reasonable as any we have found. They ship quickly.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
Sew-Classic.com may have a conversion wheel. Ask Jennie at Sew-Classic.com. You may not have to cannibalize your 127 after all. Their prices are as reasonable as any we have found. They ship quickly.
I agree. Both machines should be good machines. If you are serious about getting the part off... some times the set screw can be unscrewed and it comes right off. Some times they stick but good. We had to use a wheel puller on one that was cracked.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. I found a set screw, but it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the handwheel (the screw I located was inside the machine, behind the round faceplate on the head)...is that the set screw or is there another that I've missed.

I also bought a Textron wheel puller. It looks like the right tool for the job, but it meets up with a ton of resistance after the first couple of turns of the inner screw and the bearing doesn't look like it's moving at all. I'm afraid to really crank on it, for fear of hosing the bearing. Should I pre-treat the bushing/shaft with some liquid wrench first?

And I was hoping not to cannibalize the 127, just switch over the 15's wheel and still be able to use it as a treadle. But I'll cross that bridge after (if) I get this bushing off 8^).

Susan