Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
It was a busy saturday for me.... >

It was a busy saturday for me....

It was a busy saturday for me....

Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Default It was a busy saturday for me....

hello,
it was quite a busy day for me yesterday. anyway here's my story - there was this CL listing for some sewing machine parts many weeks ago. i inquired about it and she said she's selling some sewing machine cabinets without the legs. since i am rehabbing some of my cabinets i decided to email the seller. she wanted me to come by and check it and make an offer. i thought the place was too far for me so decided not to pursue. a week ago she listed it again and on her ads she mentioned that there are 6 sewing machines attached to the cabinets. but this time she mentioned they are free, i got curious and we agreed on a time and day. i didn't make it on the agreed time. and she told me to just come by on a weekend to check it. can't make it on weekend. since they are free, i am thinking that it will get pick up right away but just the same i took a chance and emailed her if this coming weekend is ok for pick-up. she replied and said i can. still i am curious as to what machines are attached to the cabinets. the seller even asked me if i am aware that there are machines on the cabinets but no legs. went there yesterday and here's what i got for FREE......... patience is a virtue. she told me that they repurposed the cabinets and just took the legs. i can't complain as i got 5 sewing machines and multiple cabinets for $0. i got 3 singers (1 is a red eye - my first red eye) and 2 new homes.

there's another new home hiding on the cabinet (last picture). this haul will surely keep me busy for now.
Attached Thumbnails photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg   photo-13.jpg   photo-21.jpg   photo-18-copy.jpg  

photo-12.jpg  

Last edited by singerguy; 09-14-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

My, oh, my!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Great news for you but still, what a waste. All those cabinets look to be in decent shape. It just seems a shame that the bases are now useless and supporting something that is most likely far less attractive than the original woodwork.
You did get some very nice finds there and I know the machines are in a good home instead of being turned into tractors.
Rodney
Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Oooooh! Lovely machines! Have you any idea for what you will do without the treadle irons? Look for irons maybe? or convert to handcrank?

I'm surprised since they took the irons to re-purpose that they didn't have any interest in the drawers. You made out very well for 00.00
Old 09-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My, oh, my!
Oh My is right. A waste but still a score in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 PM

I hope those that ruined these treadles choke on their repurposed things.

I also hope you can find irons to repair them, but be advised there are variations in sizes and they don't all interchange.

Joe
Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Great news for you but still, what a waste. All those cabinets look to be in decent shape. It just seems a shame that the bases are now useless and supporting something that is most likely far less attractive than the original woodwork.
You did get some very nice finds there and I know the machines are in a good home instead of being turned into tractors.
Rodney
thank you Rodney. exactly, that's what i am thinking. cabinets are in decent shape. too bad there's no legs. but can't complain on a free stuff. no tractors for me, love to restore and keep them.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Oooooh! Lovely machines! Have you any idea for what you will do without the treadle irons? Look for irons maybe? or convert to handcrank?

I'm surprised since they took the irons to re-purpose that they didn't have any interest in the drawers. You made out very well for 00.00
originally, they we're selling the machine head for $210 each but maybe they didn't get any offer. the seller helped me moved the stuff from the storage and when she saw the price on the machine she said 'oh it was selling for $210, but i will charge nothing'. i had that BIGGEST smile on my face...

Last edited by singerguy; 09-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:41 PM

My oh my, I was looking at those cabinets and thinking, "what an absolute waste", wonder if they got enough out of the irons to justify destroying those cabinets. But someone did make a good suggestion to hand-crank them. I am getting ready to hand-crank one that looks like one of them. I never was interested in HC before, but now I am really fired up on it. I guess until I get into it, and find out it is really more of a problem than I figured.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:43 PM

We ought to get together, I think I have 4-5 sets of treadle legs with no cabinet tops.