Cabinet advice

Old 06-23-2015, 03:13 PM

Default Cabinet advice

I am gluing down loose veneer but have a question about what I can do here?

This is on the "new" Singer 68 cabinet. In the pic the cabinet is upside down and the "foot" is at the top of the photo. The foot pieces are loose and will need to be glued but I am wondering if I can do anything with the small split here. It is actually a tiny bit off kilter too so that when I run my hand across the side I can feel where the board is sticking out 1/16".
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0923-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM

You can glue it. You will have to clamp with two boards on each side to bring them flush and the clamp edge to edge to bring the split together. Use a thin blade of some kind to get the glue in the split then clamp in both directions. After 24 hours then you can glue the leg to the top.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Put wax paper or foil between the boards & the leg. You don't want them getting glued to the leg when the glue squishes out!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
You can glue it. You will have to clamp with two boards on each side to bring them flush and the clamp edge to edge to bring the split together. Use a thin blade of some kind to get the glue in the split then clamp in both directions. After 24 hours then you can glue the leg to the top.
Thank you Glenn. I knew you'd have good advice for me.

path 49, I use parchment paper between the glued spot and my wood blocks
Old 06-25-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I just have a hint for getting glue down in the crevase. Put a narrow line of glue along the top edge of the split, then use dental floss, (unwaxed, unflavored) to gently saw back and forth, adding more glue as needed. Remember to wipe any excess before allowing to dry after clamping. Works pretty good and any fibers that end up in the glue are no problem, they actually can make the bond stronger. An old carpenter showed me this trick.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I just have a hint for getting glue down in the crevase. Put a narrow line of glue along the top edge of the split, then use dental floss, (unwaxed, unflavored) to gently saw back and forth, adding more glue as needed. Remember to wipe any excess before allowing to dry after clamping. Works pretty good and any fibers that end up in the glue are no problem, they actually can make the bond stronger. An old carpenter showed me this trick.
That's a cool trick thanks!