Can this machine be rescued?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

x2 from my point of view... stunning
Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Grant again I am amazed what you can do with these old machines. a5star + on this clean-up.
Skip
Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
x2 from my point of view... stunning
Thank you too Steve. You have done some stunning work yourself! I am not done with this machine yet, but along with these pix, the motor was resurrected (can't believe that I pulled that off and it runs!) Mice had chewed through the coil wires. Impossible? NO! It runs once again! It is just down to refinishing it, some minor wiring, and the foot controller. Another year for that? No. I am too close now. Maybe six more months.
~G~
Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Grant again I am amazed what you can do with these old machines. a5star + on this clean-up.
Skip
And Glen, Thank you. Your help and knowledge along the way has taught me a lot. I applied much of YOUR knowledge to be able to do this. I thank YOU! Many others here as well. My gratitude to you, Steve, and everyone that has helped me. You gave me the tools and inspiration.
~G~
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM

magnific work, as mice's one!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Grant, +1 to what the others said. Stunning before and afters on that machine.
Rodney
Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM

sandblasting is a barbaric custom! would you like to be sandblasted?
it is even stuck? surely you will be able to unjam, you, oil, wd40 and time.
for repainting, this is a great temptation, terrible for me, because I'm used to paint something,and ancient drawing of various kind.
so I thought: painting is not too filologic restore, and I will never remove the most little bit of old painting.
but if the machine just lost ALL own paint, one may give it a new one with removable colours.
I tried even by eye-lip paint.
you could reproduce the curled decors of a complete wheeler and wilson . you may add a little something your, for the future archologists
the history of the young man loving a not too young lady ' in a hundred years we will have the same age'
certainly it seems these last hundred are a thousand...
however I would paint the poor sabled ww. there are others, quite safe, it is not the only
well. I wait your work.....
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM

Sandblasting is a tool like any other. Any tool is dangerous or damaging when it is mis-used. I don't see any harm in repainting a machine if the original paint is beyond repair. Better to repaint the machine and protect the metal than to leave it exposed to further corrosion. I think the only exception would be if the machine was rare or historically significant in some way.
Rodney
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 AM

Thank you for all of the nice compliments. I have a Facebook page and have been documenting it all along the restoration process. If you would like to see more, there is a link here at the bottom that will get you to my page to see it, if you would like.

Sandblasting. It is a general or generic term for media blasting. There is soda, sand, plastic pellets, and many more things that can be used as the media. It depends on what you are trying to achieve and on what material. I would not rule it out in certain situations.
I have a machine that will be media blasted here (hopefully) soon. It had a lot of really bad chips in it and all of the paint on the front edge was completely gone and someone spray painted half of the bed and random parts to cover up the chips and paint loss.
It is a good idea to have your paint booth pretty much ready to go with a primer before starting the blasting process. As soon as you are done with the blasting, into the paint booth for primer. Or at least that is how I am going to do it.
~G~
Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 AM

I never posted the after pictures of the Singer 27. Better late than never. You can see that a dramatic change took place especially with the back before and after. I was able to clean off so much gunk, I found a lot of missing decals.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front-before-after.jpg   back-before-after.jpg