Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can you please tell me about my "new" vintage machine?

I am bidding on a 99 on eBay now, but she's getting kind of pricey. Yours is a beauty, for sure!

Oh I hope you get yours!! The price for mine was $59.00 and it came with a sewing cabinet that is ugly. My dh is going to strip the cabinet to see what the real wood is under that green paint. I was happy with my price! I was just so happy to have the machine right in front of me!! I'm not sure how high up I would have paid to rescue her!!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Nice discovery! I'd like to see a photo of the "ugly" cabinet, too.

Nygal,
    You have a Singer 99, manufactured in about 1928. I have one just like yours that is a hand crank, my decals are in a little bit better condition, made in about 1931.
    Your machine has lovely decals, so please don't use any thing but sewing machine oil to clean with and an old soft t-shirt. Other cleaners will silver your decals or remove them.
    Be especially careful cleaning around the decal where the paint has worn off. Someone had a rag there and used it too stick pins into. I use the sewing machine oil that comes in a clear bottle that says "Zoom Spout" oiler, you can find it at JoAnn's,Hobby Lobby,sometimes Wal-mart. It has a long tube that makes oiling the old machines easier.
    Sharon
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by purplefiend; 09-09-2012 at 01:07 PM.

I got one with a wooden bow case in Springfield, Illinois for $50. The case needed refinishing and it is pretty now. I haven't sewed on her yet, but am looking forward to it. DD and I have been looking for a 99 and this one came up suddenly and was in such good shape, or course, I couldn't resist. It is dead ringer for yours so I guess we have twins. Good luck and follow Joe's recommendations. He knows. Say excited. Old machines are so much fun.

Oh yes, yours has a lovely quarter sawn base. How is the top? I used mahogony stain and brush on lacquer on mine and got it a new SINGER decal off the internet. The pattern is the wood is so nice on your machine, I had to comment on it. Keys are hard to find at reasonable prices. It costs $12.00 to have one made in Franklin, TN. Sometimes they are reasonable on the internet, but postage, runs the price up and they should only take a couple of stamps. Try antique shops. They generally have a box of keys and don't know what they are truly worth. Good luck.

Your's is beautiful!! I say they are sisters for sure..mine is the older sister. I wish mine had the wooden base to it. My dh may make me one.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Here's the pictures of my case for my Singer 99k. It also has the key to the case that is on a long piece of round elastic that's through the case handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Oh that is SO beautiful I wish mine had its case. I have to keep checking goodwill places every weekend and hopefully I will find a vintage cabinet that I can put mine on.

I just received a copy of the original instruction manual that is for my machine. It is so "cute". I am thrilled to finally have a set of instructions just for "Grace". I ordered it from Canada and it was worth the wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2