Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you tell me what machine I have???

Can you tell me what machine I have???

Hello! I stumbled across this site while trying to determine what kind of machine I have. It was my at least my great grandmother's and my mother gave it to me a few years ago. It hasn't been used in decades and I want to fix it up and get her goin' again. Any ideas on where to start? I apologize in advance for the poor picture quality.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Looks like a Bartlett Rotary. (Made by National I believe) Also marketed as OVB (Our very best) Good solid machine.

Read the "sticky" posts (the ones that stay at the top of the list)
    : HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Welcome!
    Pretty machine! I don't know the make, others here will. Spend some time playing in here: HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Also, Glenn has a couple good tutorials on restoring the finishes on these old machines too:
    Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

LLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Use sewing machine oil or Tri-Flo (a light synthetic oil) only unless following Glenn's or Muv's instructions otherwise. Sewing Machine oil is safe on any finish and won't gum up the works like other oils can. You can start by oiling everything that moves or looks like it should move, then do the hard part: Walk away for a couple days.
    That will give the oil a chance to soak in and work it's magic, making things easier later.

Once you know what you have, there may be more info at ISMACS or needlebar.org too.
    Please keep us posted on your progress,
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Steve is faster than me.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Thank you both! I will read through the links provided. Disclaimer: I know less than nothing about this machine or how they work. I *think* I have the treadle base, but when I search them online, they look like they stand alone - mine is in a cabinet.
    Name:  IMG_20140324_163218.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  384.4 KB

My mom says I need a belt at least, the chain is not attached and I haven't gotten into it yet to figure out what is wrong. Cleaning it up seems to be the first step - so that's where I'll start!

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction! I'm excited to learn how to use grandma's machine!

That looks like what is called a Parlor cabinet. Designed to do the same job in a smaller space.

I have a weakness for oddball rotaries. Looks like an enjoyable challenge ahead of you! It can be very rewarding
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

I have the same toenail polish on!

What an awesome machine!

I love those, "butterfly," treadle footplates. Didn't Wheeler and Wilson do those?

~ Cindy