Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Car wax???

Car wax???

Did I read on here you could use car wax to shine up a machine or did I imagine it?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use carnauba wax on mine. Not the cleaner, just the high quality wax. Mothers or maguires I think. It sure makes my machines shine and it makes them easy to dust. It also helps the fabric glide right over the surface.

I've used plain old Turtle Wax. It made my machine smooth and shiny. I've also seen people talk about using a product called TR3 Resin Glaze from the automotive section. Not sure if that is good for all vintage machines.

Carnauba Wax it the way to go...Nice shine and non-destructive. It's expensive, but worth it. No synthetics, the old paints may react to them because they are more porous than you'd think.

I can't say "I use" because I didn't do it to my husband's standards. SO....he uses Maguires on my machines. Seriously, who would mess with that system?

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    haha I use it to make the WALLS of the shower to make it shine! just be carefull not to get it on the floor of the shower. I don't own a vintage machine just happen to read the post.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

I use Meguires or Kit wax.

I don't really LIKE cleaning and waxing, but I guess I'm a little cracked, because I am super-persnickety about it.

My machine repair man told me to use a good auto wax to make it shine...I haven't tried it on my 1914 Singer treadle but I am going to give it a try.....

So far the carnauba has really put a shine back on our red eye. We took off the motor and light and restored it back to a treadle in a cabinet. Looks like she really has personality now. The new belt wanted to slip as we were attempting to wind a bobbin but it is starting to settle in now. My guess is it takes a while to break in a new belt???

Attempting waxing our model 15 now.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Mother's California Gold carnauba car wax for me. Start in the back where it doesn't show-not all finishes take to waxing well. Anything painted is okay, but waxing japanned machines has been hit and miss in my experience. When it works, though, it looks fantastic.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!