Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Case for 3/4 size green Singer 185 >

Case for 3/4 size green Singer 185

Case for 3/4 size green Singer 185

Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 PM

Red face Case for 3/4 size green Singer 185

I bought the cutest 3/4 size green Singer 185 on Craig's List. I need a base or case for it so I can have it portable. I checked the internet and found a source to order a plastic base and cover. The measurements seem to fit the pins. Will this work and have you done it ? DH is a very handy guy and could make a wood base, but he's got enough on his plate most of the time, so I want to save him the trouble.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM

The original cases were green plastic. I think I have seen pictures of more modern white plastic "bubble" cases too. As long as the pin measurements and width from front o back are right there shouldn't be any trouble.
Rodney
Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 PM

I found this: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/por...er-p60218.aspx
Looks like a regular size case with an adapter bar. Not a bad idea. Looks like the case has movable dividers at the ends too.
My only thing is I can't afford or justify $40 for just a case. I build my own but it does take some time.
Rodney
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

I saw one once on CL. Somebody got a plastic shoebox and fitted the machine into it. So I dug around a lot and found one that fit - it can be done - patience.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM

I bought a used white one for $38, I think it was the bubble case. Probably should have gone with the new one! The plastic in the original green cases seems to have been very weak and brittle - mine came with all the supports broken out and a big chunk out of the front of the base. I suspect someone had dropped the machine at some point - they are heavy! But a nice little machine.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 AM

I'd wait for a cheap parts machine on eBay, ShopGoodwill or CL and in case of a shipping charge have them keep the machine.... though an extra machine for parts might be a good idea if you can get one locally.

The case is plastic and since the machine is so heavy, it really is not a good idea to transport it by using the handle on the lid/cover. If you are not going to transport it, have DH make a wooden base and sew a nice dust cover...?

We have the case for our 185 (where is it?) if you want/need pics for reference.....
Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 PM

I got one of the $21 bubble cases from WalMart for my 301 for taking to guild because the trapezoid case is way too heavy. It is just barely tolerable though. A rolling case from JoAnn would be much better and you can take more with you that way and not have to lug it around. I use one of those for my FW and really like it. It really holds a lot and with a half price coupon, it was affordable.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
I got one of the $21 bubble cases from WalMart for my 301 for taking to guild because the trapezoid case is way too heavy. It is just barely tolerable though. A rolling case from JoAnn would be much better and you can take more with you that way and not have to lug it around. I use one of those for my FW and really like it. It really holds a lot and with a half price coupon, it was affordable.
The machine doesn't have a base to fit around the edge so it doesn't sit level. Once I get it in a base, I can use a rolling case to transport it.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:16 AM

If all you really need is a simple base you can probably convince your husband to make one. Search here. I know I did a tutorial on one for a 99. They're the older version of your machine and are the same size. The base can be even simpler than that too.
Rodney