Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice >

Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice

Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice

Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

For $15 expect you are buying a project machine - it is a good buy - I have spent more for a project machine. BUT that doesn't look like some of the project machines I've seen. Go buy it before it is gone but only if you are willing to work on it. Parts are available on line. When you buy a bargain machine expect to have to give it a thorough cleaning, oiling and adjusting. Expect to have to buy a few parts. That one is going to need TLC on the finish - what there is of it. Decals are missing, too. If you want an already working machine expect to pay more. By the way those 66s are very nice machines. That one has a motor boss.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 AM

Go grab it and run!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 AM

For $15, if the hand wheel turned, and the needle bar went up and down, I would call it good and take it, and figure it out later.

I'd probably take it no matter what, unless it was all rusty, since these machines are pretty simple.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
For $15, if the hand wheel turned, and the needle bar went up and down, I would call it good and take it, and figure it out later.

I'd probably take it no matter what, unless it was all rusty, since these machines are pretty simple.
I've transformed a few even with rust.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 AM

zozee,

That is a simple plain old Singer 66 Redeye treadle machine. The price is fantastic. I've got two and neither came that cheap.

Now the detractions:

>Slide plate missing
>Bobbins are missing
>The machine does use back clamp feet. You can find them, but they are a bit harder to come by and are more expensive when you find them.
>Lots of decal wear, if that matters to you
>Probably needs a new belt. No big deal as it is a regular wear item anyway
>Cabinet has been major violated by being painted. I would have to strip that gawd awful paint off and refinish it properly.

The slide plate is part of the machine that should be there. Even though the price gives you much room to buy another one be advised the finish of the reproduction parts does not match the originals at all. They work, but that's all you can say for them. Originals are going to be harder to find and more expensive when you do. That machine probably would have had the earlier plate with the patent dates on it. I've been looking for one like that for three years now without success.

Go get it. But~~ be prepared to spend some time and work to make it really right again.

Joe
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM

Looks like the seller found the slide plate so that's good. Other than that, treadles don't come up often for what amounts to a half rack of beer. I hate stripping paint. I hate it bad enough to keep saying it. I don't know if you will find quarter sawn white oak or walnut under the paint but it will be worth the effort to get the paint off. Even with the paint at $15 I would have grabbed it and ran.
Rodney
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM

I agree that for the money it looks like a good deal. Just make sure it turns, and her finding the slide plate it a great bonus. You don't HAVE to have other feet to enjoy the machine, so don't let that scare you unless that is part of the attraction. Same thought w/the decals, are you looking for a pretty machine or one that works well? And, belts are an easy and cheap fix.

Jp
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

usually the more beat up machines work better - smoother... well at least after some TLC.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I can guarantee that this treadle will not require electrical work! Finding the bobbin plate has already saved money.

Only problem might be if it's a back clamper and doesn't have any feet. They're getting expensive.

If you have the manual you have a threading diagram. The 15 has the tensioner on the end plate so it won't have the same path. Thread goes left to right on a 66.

Haha. No electrical...i realized after you posted that my comment made it sound like I wondered if I'd be getting into electrical repair with a treadle! Lol. I'm new but not blonde? Lol.

A back clamper? Sorry. Not sure what that is. It only has one foot which looks tarnished but not rusty, now that i think about it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM

But wait. I'm confused. There was a light fixture in a side drawer so that is electrical obviously. I have no clue how to attach it if I wanted to. I didnt look closely at it when i realized there was no bobbin .